To Pre or not to Pre???

Friday0089

Ok so I have a TASCAM 1800, I like all the XLR inputs, great for tracking drums. I have a DBX 266XL Comp, I've seen mixed feelings about this, so far I've liked it. Now what I'm getting at is I'm considering a preamp of some sort, mostly for vocals.

I bought a Focusrite TrakMaster Pro from Guitar Center because it was on clearance, definitely crap, I can barely get any volume from it, it's noisy as heck, the comp on it is crap... Ok I could probably go on for days...

Anyhow I'd like to TRY and get something decent for $500 and under preferably with two Mic inserts. AND most important will it even help? Also if its not much more to ask, any other compressor suggestions?, because if you all think the 266 is fine I have an opportunity to pick another one up cheap which I would really like to have 4 inputs for comp, thanks everyone!

Google the Golden Age Projects Pre 73. It's based on the Neve 1073. I have heard nothing but amazing things about it, and I will be purchasing one as soon as I get the money. They retail for around $300, but I have seen them on ebay for $200. For sure check it out!

Drew

People are going to ask what you're recording, what kind of music, what makes you think a preamp is going to make a huge difference, then they'll warn you that a new pre won't make as much of a difference as you think, and that if you're recordings are muddy or bad with the stock pres they'll be muddy or bad with new ones too, and that microphones will likely make a bigger difference than pres. And, they'll be 100% right. So now that all of those disclaimers are out of the way, and you're sure you want to upgrade your pres and you are realistic about what a new preamp will do for you...

I'll second the GAP pre-73. I don't care what kind of music you're doing, this preamp will sound really nice. It's perfectly suited for rock vocals, or vintage sounding folky stuff...acoustic guitars...any acoustic instrument...even warm sounding electrics. I haven't used it on drums, but I would guess it would sound great on the kick, maybe not so much on the snare and OH. But, if you don't have any external pres, this one should be near the top of your list.

Some may say go for the DMP3 in the cheap range, but I haven't found it to be any better than the pres built into most interfaces.

The only other one in that price range that I have experience with is the RNP. It sounds wonderful and clear on everything I've ever used it for. It's $450 for 2 channels. It won't blow you away because it's very transparent, and it won't give you that cool old vibe the GAP will. But it is great and I would highly recommend it for that price range.

I enjoy the ART MPA Gold, which can be found for around $200 on eBay. The newer MPA II goes for around $275 new. They're both two channel tube preamps that offer a wide variety of tone via a HP filter, variable input impedance, and high and low tube voltage options. I've really fallen in love with the Gold outfitted with stock tubes; folks say they sound even better with replacements.

Mackie vlz, I think would be a significant step up from Tascam. You're not going to get anything significantly great 2 channels for 500$. They're all kind of pretty good, and then there's a huge jump in price for the really high end great stuff.
Oh yeah, EHX 12ay7 I can vouch for these. They cost about $200 each. or less if you find it on ebay. Though only get it if you have a converter with balanced xlr input.

I myself use a 1641. I use a DBX 160X only for tracking vocals and clean electric guitar. Even then it is used sparingly. I have good results running channels 11-14 with ART TPS II and a DUAL MP for overheads and scratch tracks. I have used preamps in the $500 to 1000 range in other studios and have found that to get something really worthy that will be used forever, holding out for something in the $1500 price range is a better investment. That being said, I would not pass up a good deal on a GAP73 for use with drum tracks or as a good decent preamp for running ribbon mics or other low output dynamics on anything. Any mic will benefit from a good preamp, but a preamp will not make a shit mic great. Better mics are IMO, a better investment than a preamp for every channel. Though, I want them too. :D

I'm not sure I understand the comparison here. The Mackie is a mixer right?
Mackie vlz, I think would be a significant step up from Tascam. You're not going to get anything significantly great 2 channels for 500$. They're all kind of pretty good, and then there's a huge jump in price for the really high end great stuff.
Oh yeah, EHX 12ay7 I can vouch for these. They cost about $200 each. or less if you find it on ebay. Though only get it if you have a converter with balanced xlr input.

Ahh Jimmy you're pulling me out of the fire of confusion again. ha ha.

So basically I'm thinking I should invest in some more high quality mics and save the preamp for a later date, yes? I feel like now I may be putting the cart ahead of the horse at the moment. I've always liked the Blue Baby Bottle, hows is that? I've heard vocals from it but I've never used it personally.

I enjoy the ART MPA Gold, which can be found for around $200 on eBay. The newer MPA II goes for around $275 new. They're both two channel tube preamps that offer a wide variety of tone via a HP filter, variable input impedance, and high and low tube voltage options. I've really fallen in love with the Gold outfitted with stock tubes; folks say they sound even better with replacements.

I've heard mixed feelings about this, IMO I like them I was actually considering getting one myself.

Though I do not own one, I have heard good results with a BBB. Keep in mind tho, there is really not a mic produced that works perfectly for everything. Ever. All mics to one basic thing, convert sound waves to electrical current. They all have different character. Personal opinion of what you wish to get out of a particular performer or instrument is what you base the mic selection upon. This can really only be decided by your own opinions. That takes experience in use. My opinion, or anyone elses for that matter, really do not mean much. I can say that 'this + this' is the perfect combination. That only applies to my particular situation involving a particular source, in a room that can never be duplicated. You will find that anything can be done with a simple 57 and a decent preamp. Anything above that is really just enhancing the particular set of circumstances with other options.
Ahh Jimmy you're pulling me out of the fire of confusion again. ha ha.

So basically I'm thinking I should invest in some more high quality mics and save the preamp for a later date, yes? I feel like now I may be putting the cart ahead of the horse at the moment. I've always liked the Blue Baby Bottle, hows is that? I've heard vocals from it but I've never used it personally.

My opinion, or anyone elses for that matter, really do not mean much. I can say that 'this + this' is the perfect combination. That only applies to my particular situation involving a particular source, in a room that can never be duplicated. You will find that anything can be done with a simple 57 and a decent preamp.

That is extremely well said sir. I completely agree. That's one thing I hate about guitar center, they say one thing is THE best, very narrow minded IMO. I guess I just need to do my research and try as many mics/pres as I can. Thank you!

Back