to iso or not to iso?

zenpicker

Hi - I'm in a new home studio space, having moved from Chicago to Colorado, and am thinking through what I need to do to set up my studio optimally. The room is pretty quiet - we live next to the woods now, not the train! - but I do get some noise from my computer fan and occasional outside noise, so I am toying with building a small iso booth. I can kill the ambient noise with NR software but it changes the dynamics of the music ever so slightly; I would rather minimize the need for NR.

My question is whether an iso booth is a good idea acoustically. ALL I record is solo acoustic fingerstyle guitar with close stereo condensors. I don't need to isolate myself from other instruments or anything like that. Basically I am just looking to have a dead quiet space with minimal ambient noise from the computer and random exterior sources.

Would building an iso booth risk giving me a boxy sound? The max dimensions would probably be about 9' x 8', and my thought was to build one side with a slight outward projection to the wall so that I can get softer angles (like 120 rather than 90 degrees) for the "corners." I would probably use a wooden floor and would treat the remaining corners with Auralex or whatever.

My plan would be to keep the CPU outside the booth and run a remote monitor and wireless keyboard/mouse into the booth for control.

So is this a good idea or a stupid one? :rolleyes:

Ethan - thanks for that - helpful indeed!

The one question it raised for me, with respect to the PVB, was how to keep out the DAW noise if I don't build a booth. I can see that the PVB is treated on the inside, the side facing the performer, but does that help with bleed-through of DAW noise if the DAW is on the other side, in front? There's nothing to absorb that noise...seems like it would sneak in around the PVB.

Thoughts?

Back