To GigaStudio or not to GigaStudio?

barefoot

barefootsound.com
Ok, I'm contemplating the next big step.

Save for my MS2000R, I work almost 100% inside the computer. I think I'm developing some strong skills in this medium and I don't see any reason to change at this point. Not to mention, it's a far more portable and cheaper than owning tons of hardware.

I own these soft synths: FM7, Pro52, B4, Absynth, and the EVP73.

Now I'm looking for BIG, realistic, orchestral type sounds to compliment these. I've tried messing around with .wav samples, but it always turns out sounding like just a sequence of.... well... samples. Reading about the GigaStudio (which I assume is the softsynth version of the GigaSampler?) makes me think this might be the tool I'm looking for. So here are my questions:

1. Does the GigaStudio really give you reasonably natural articulation of acoustic instruments?

2. How much system resources does it eat up?

3. I see some orchestral libraries costing from $1k up to $4k! Since you can't use universal file formats like .wav, is GigaStudio just a money pit that locks you into a dedicated format?

Thanks!
barefoot

I'd be curious to hear about this also. I remember doing some searches awhile back and it seems like the gigastudio is only as good as the expensive libraries you buy for it. All the libraries have cool demos but I don't trust patch demos anymore.

The best strings I have found to date are the Kurzweil K series mixed with some Emu Proteus 2 strings for a touch of rosin.

Also, I dont think gigastudio is compatible to a lot of software sequencers. Its kind of a stand alone thing going on.

Actually, I've done a bit of research, and the 2 that come up are Gigastudio and Kontakt (Native Instruments).

If you're going to run Gigastudio, you'll need a dedicated PC.

it does support AKAI, and .wav (I think)....
And you're correct, the samples do cost!!!

With Kontakt, you can use it as a plugin as a VST plugin. They are also going to compile it for Audio Units. But I'd wonder how much processing power it will chew up as a plug in.

I don't know whether to go for Gigastudio 160, or Kontakt, or even the Korg Triton Rack synth (Hardware)...

Ideally, I would like to get Gigastudio 160 version 3 when it comes out.

Regards, Max.

I'm a user of both GigaStudio and GigaSampler, GigaSampler is the predecessor of GigaStudio, but that is another story.

The giga is indeed a standalone sampler in the way that it need it's own stereo-output and midi port and do not run integrated in a seqenser-program.
I once tried using giga and the B4(in standalone version), but without success even though they where asigned to diffrent outputs, there where problems.
I do not know how it will work when you use your softsynths integrated in a seqenser together with giga.

One of the main pros on using giga ARE the samples, and in the way they're used. I think you allready know about the giga diskstreaming technologi. I know there are some of the integrated sampler such as Halion using this technologi, but not as effective as giga. It's mainly it's great size samples giga is known for, I don't know any other sampler capable of handling a 1.8GB grand piano.

You do not need to run giga on a dedicated PC, I don't.
But you might considering a dedicated harddisc for the gigs.

Because of the great samplesize there is no artiffichial attack, decay,sustain and release, therefor the most natural sounding samples.

Another feature GigaStudio have is the possibillity to do "key- swiching", witch allow you to select diffrent articulatios in the same patch from one of the unused keys, another feature is crossfading between MP and FF samples of, lets say brass with the modwheel.
There are tons of diffrent features made for handling acoustic samples in GigaStudio, witch it was made for doing.

For strings you might want to check out Garittan Orchestral strings Lite, a little cheaper with a smaller number of patches than the extensive original.

I've once used GigaSampler LE on a old PC in a Live situation, it worked like a charm, but was really messy with the computer, monitor, mouse and keyboard.

So long for now.

Thanks Flames.

How about for someone with very limited keyboard skills? I mainly program my stuff with a piano roll editor, but I do work very hard at getting "feel" into it. Are all of the articulation features easily controlled via the software interface?

barefoot

Lets say you load the Dan Dean Solo Violin Keyswitch patch.
This include sustained, staccato, pitzzicato, tremolo, half trills and whole trills in a singel patch.
The solo violin have a range between G3 and A7. When you press/program the C2 key you'll activate the sustained articulation, on C#2 you'll activate the staccato articulation, on D2 the pitzzicato, on D#2 the tremolo, on E2 the half trills, on F2 the whole trills. You just program/press the specific key for the preferable articulation before you use it, very simple, and it only takes up a singel midichannel for all articulation.

Personaly I prefer programing strings but for "clav" instruments like Piano, Rhoads etc, I prefer playing the midikeyboard.
I'm a guitarist and when I play a little more advaced keyboard stuff I cheet, recording the left hand first then the right hand and then combine them.

Back