To CS-3 or not to CS-3? That is the question.

Zona Mona

I just got a CS-3 and am having a hard time getting a decent sound out of it. I am wondering if someone can give me some advice or if it is hopeless and I should just go buy a Barber Tone Press. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I take it that you mean a Boss CS-3 compressor/sustainer pedal?

I have one and I love it...it's my most used pedal by far.

First off, do you play with a high-gain sound? Lots of distortion? If so, then a compressor pedal won't make much difference...distortion is already compressed by its very own nature so adding more compression to it won't make much difference.

I play with a low-gain sound, and I've used it both with a solid-state and tube amp. It's awesome on a tube amp because it holds the signal in a spot where it's always pushing the tubes to break up, as opposed to when its disengaged and the tubes only break up when I play hard.

With that out of the way, I set the level all the way up because I only use it when I'm soloing...playing chords thru a compressor makes too much of a pumping sound for my tastes. I set the attack pretty slow just because I prefer it that way. The tone, set to your liking. I set it past half-way up just to roll off some high end. And then the sustain is the amount of compression you add...I crank it all the way up because I want a lot of sustain.

i have one...

i set everything about a notch or 2 past 12 0'clock ....i usually leave it on all the time but i like it best on my more countryish stuff, i think thats where it excels .....

tadpui can you post your values like hours on a clock i think i got what you're saying but just wondering about where you put your attack and tone ...thanks
....i keep my level at 12 the rest are about 1 o'clock ...it is a weird pedal cause i change things around a lot and forget to adjust it and it has some differing effects to other pedals like you said on the hi gain stuff ...later

Well let's see if I can recall the settings. I just played at lunch, so it's not like it's been an eternity or anything :)

Level - 5 o'clock...all the way up. This is the equivalent of a makeup gain setting on a normal compressor. I like the boost it gives me since I usually only use it for soloing.

Tone - about 1 or 2 o'clock...just enough to roll off the harshness in the high-end.

Attack - about 9 o'clock. I like a slow attack because I really love that Mick Ronson kind of "tube amp about to explode" sagging rectifier kind of sound.

Sustain - between 3 and 5 o'clock...basically all the way up. Normally, I want to be able to hit a note and let it ring for an hour if need be. At this high of a setting, the input signal would have to get pretty darn quiet to fall below the compression threshold. It is very pumpy at this high of a setting, though. Try between 1 and 3 o'clock for less pump, but less sustain.

I really want to try out some other compressor pedals, especially things like that BlackFace or BlackFinger or whatever. It's like an optical tube compressor in a pedal, and looks pretty enticing. Also I saw one in Musician's Hotline or whatever that advert/mag is for high-end gear. It looked just like a MXR pedal, same knobs and style at least, but it was silver and had 2 knobs and a switch.

I've come to terms with the fact that the CS-3 isn't a great compressor, but for $70 I cant see any others that would come close to it in performance and reliability. I've had mine for 4 or 5 years now and it still gets stomped on a lot every time I play!

my main problem is when i turn up the sustain and level that high, i get a squealing sound

i play with mid-gain, sorta tube screamer settings - drive 2 o'clock, tone 7 (all the way down), level 3

i sorta wanted more sustain on my lead sounds, that's why i got it

Yes, with high volume and high compression comes lots of feedback. Mine comes thru as about a middle D or so :)

You'll either need a noise gate to keep the feedback loop from happening, or only stomp on the CS3 when you start playing and turn it back off right when you stop playing.

If it weren't for my NS-2, that CS-3 would be absolutely uncontrollable when engaged! And I still have to turn it off immediately if I stop playing or else it's mmmmmmmwwwwwwhhhhrrrrrrrr!!! at about 90 decibels.

I have a CS-3 om my practice board, and a Tone Press on my gig board. They sound very different, and that in itself is a good thing. However....The Tone Press is by far my favorite pedal compressor. The ability to blend the uneffected signal back in is way cool :D

Back