To Click or Not to Click

Almost always (can't remember last time I didn't).

And I have very little patience for drummers who poo-poo click tracks. Not coincidentally they're almost always the ones with meter problems.

My experience as well. The better the drummer is at keeping tempo, the more likely the will want a click. The ones that are all over the map swear the don't need one.

This really goes for all musicians though. Any good musician will be able to play to a click effortlessly.....

Always use a click track and/or drum machine nowadays as I just write/record/practice by myself. It does make lining things up/overdubs a lot easier.

Playing live I prefer a drummer though as it just feels "better". I'm sure our timing isn't perfect but it has more life to it.

I use a click and I keep the volume of it kinda low (in the headphones). I also simultaneously record a simple kick pattern and maracas playing eighth notes from an Alesis SR-16 synced to my recorder. I'll then record a guide track of rhythm guitar and a scratch vocal. Once I record real drums and the bass, I then quit listening to the click when tracking the other instruments.

And yes, a click track (with a tempo map) is invaluable when it comes to editing.

I don't have the option of tempo mapping now. I used a click on the last 2 songs I did so I could use the software drum machine I have,(garageband). For me it definitely takes away from the flow of the performance. The song doesn't have a sense of flow any more. I would rather not use it, especially since I come from a classical music background.

Back