To Chorus or Not to Chorus

mrbigputts

I am a lead guitarist and frontman of a local band. I am also the driving creative force behind the band (which is all new to me). I have only been writing songs for about 8 months. Most of the songs that I have written I have tried to put in some kind of hook (you know the part of the song that tends to get stuck in your head rather you like it or not) but I have also written a few songs that I really like that have no chorus at all. I do usually try to put in some kind of musical change at least but not always. Is it better you think to actually have a structured chorus or does it even really matter?

What Bob said....Also try modulating the music ..it will give you the chorus vibe with out the same old chorus approch..works for me when I'm tring to step outside and want to still have "pop" acceptance{radio play type O' thing}..Since you are "new" at the creative force thing use the situation as your laboratory!Take as many chances as you want..You only live once!Good luck..

Don

I tend to agree that if you're looking for a"radio cut" the most accepted and safest thing to do is have a chorus with a nice hook in it, but I also think it depends on what market your looking at and who you're pitching to.

I write Americana, Roots, Alt-Country, whatever it's being called this week and have had good luck pitching songs without any chorus; songs with a bridge, but no chorus; and songs that start with the chorus, have a verse, then another chorus, a bridge and end on the chorus. It all boils down to what you want. If you want to hear your song during drive time on the radio stick to the standard patterns.

Hopefully, you're going to write enough good songs that will have all sorts of different forms. I'm a non-performing writer and work with a lot of young artists and small music publishers and I'm usually surprised by what gets licensed from my catalogue. The stuff I write without thought about it's commercial appeal usually ends up being the most commercially successful, at least for me.

There are several different song forms. These days, the most common is the verse-chorus formula, which may or may not have a bridge. Another one is called the refrain. It has no chorus. An example is "Yesterday" by the Beatles. In that form, the title is usually the first or last line of the "A" section and the "B" section does not usually repeat the title (but it does in Yesterday). Then, there are songs that are just verse after verse after verse (Tangled Up In Blue, Edmund Fitsgerald). So thats three different styles to choose from right there. All are valid and all can be made to work. There are other variations too! Play with 'em all and have fun.

if you're worried about a non-chorus song and that is how you wrote it, try a key change for one of the verses or a tempo change to mix things up. You don't NEED a chorus to write a hit. Check out your arrangment options before you reluctantly stick in a chorus.

Theron.

All good answers.
Figure out what you want to do with the song.
Take it from there.
A song can always be taken apart and put back together again.
Good luck.

Not to dig up too old of a thread... but...

I just put up a cover (in this thread) of my favorite "no chorus" song... I like the original a lot and I think it does get some radio play (or did).

Anyway... I think the type of song is what determines if a chorus is "necessary". I've written songs with no chorus (one of which is almost a blatant rip off of the Del Amitri tune I did the cover of. :p) and I think there's a definite place for songs like that... usually the "story telling" types of songs work best without a chorus.

WATYF

Back