TLM 127 side addressed?

kats

According to the literature the 127 is side addressed. What does that mean exactly? If you address it from the side it sounds weird...but if you address it from the front it seems the way to go.

Am I misunderstanding somehting?

From the Neumann website:

The TLM 127 is a large-diaphragm studio microphone with omnidirectional and cardioid directional characteristics. In addition, via a special power supply it is possible to use remote control to switch between the five directional characteristics: omnidirectional, wide-angle cardioid, cardioid, hypercardioid and figure-8.
The key features of the microphone are:

especially low self-noise combined with an impressive dynamic range,
modern transformerless circuit technology,
exceptionally clean, transparent sound transmission.

The TLM 127 is addressed from the side. On the front of the microphone is the switch for selecting the directional characteristic. There are 3 settings: omnidirectional, cardioid, and remote control ("R").

On the back of the microphone is a 14-dB attenuation switch, as well as a high-pass filter switch with 2 settings: -3 dB cut-off frequency at 15 Hz ("LIN"), and 100 Hz.

http://www.neumann.com/infopool/mics/produkte.php?ProdID=tlm127

kats said:
According to the literature the 127 is side addressed. What does that mean exactly? If you address it from the side it sounds weird...but if you address it from the front it seems the way to go.

Am I misunderstanding somehting?

Side addressed for the TLM 127 means you will position ths mic so that the XLR cable is either pointing up or down. You will sing into the side that has the Neumann emblem on it.

Han - I have the manual and that's why I wondered what they meant by side addressed. At least I know I got the right manual so thanks for that ;)

Raw-Tracks - CC on singing into the emblem. Just for clarification - what do you mean by "up" or "down" on the XLR cable and why do they make such specific reference to that. As long as I know to sing facing the emblem (which they didn't mention) why should I be concerned which way the XLR connetion is facing?

EDIT: Do you mean the mic is actually positioned horizontally as opposed to vertically? If true, how does positioning it vertically affect anything?

Kats,

I don't understand what you are still confused about, or why you're getting hung up on the cable. Here's a picture of someone sing into a "side-address" microphone.

Attachments

• side-address.jpg
    side-address.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 46
Yo Kats! They're trying to tell you that on a "side addressed" mic, you sing into it sideways, instead of the end, as on a hand held dynamic or a pencil mic. Those are called "end addressed" mics. They're not saying you should sing into the mic 90 degrees off axis! And BTW, congrats on the mic. It's a thing of beauty.-Richie

HAHAHA OK OK I get it. Let me tell you why I'm confused. If you read the manual on the TLM 103 it DOES NOT refer to it as side address but rather it says address it from the "front" designated by the Neumann logo.

On the 127 is says the front is the Neumann logo, and then it says to address it from the side. So because I read both manuals I was wondering why the inconsistancy in the language.

Anyhow..at least I know what they men by side addressed :D

Back