TL audio micpre's?

twostone

They any good? or just another hyped up tube micpre just wonder how they compare with a FMR micpre thanks

TL audio mic pres are goddamm awful. They are terrible.They are colored compared to FMR.
I would not even trust one even as a talkback pre.

I have a somewhat higher opinion of them. I have some HHB gear which is the same company rebranded for the states. I particularly like the Radius 10 four channel mic pre. I like it a LOT but what do I know.

Yeah i wouldn't be quite as scathing as Rodger, I had an Ivory series 5050 for a while and it was just OK really.

Last edited:
A friend lent me his TL Audio pres for a concert recording a few years ago. He likes them a lot, but I found them very disappointing. Slightly veiled, and generally flat sounding. I'd have been better off just using my mixer pres.

Just one man's opinion.

Thanks guys I'll probably check out FMR heard these little units are not bad for the price got some info. from Harvey Grest over at mojo pie said their the best bang for the buck he really didn't know that much about TL Audio micpre's.

There are different TL Audio ranges. The Ivory series for instance is very cheap, and the pre's sound like dogazz. The "Classic" series, which is usually the grey box stuff, they are better known for! I had a two channel classic at one point, and found it to be a very usefull preamp! Quiet, clean (for a lower end tube unit) and enough "color" to keep tracks interesting to listen to.

I would really stay away from the Ivory series.

BTW, HHB and TL Audio are the same company NOW, but they were two different companies at one point. I know that the look of their designs are similar, but I am not too sure that the electronics are the same!

I have used the HHB Radius series stuff, and would probably put it in the same range as the TL Audio stuff.

TL Audio Indigo series stuff is VERY series gear!

I had the HHB Radius 10 and the second edition the TL Audio 5001 for a time. There was a big difference between them. The Radius 10 was the winner between the two. I often wish I still had it, but what I have now is probably better - the memories are probably better than the reality. If you can get your hands on a old Radius 10 for cheap, I don't think you'll be disappointed. There's a good dollar per channel ratio. I can't speak for the other TL Audio models or ranges.

If memory serves, they're all over "Shimmer" and "Greek To Me" at bottom of this page.
http://woodstockrecordingservices.com/MP3_Examples.htm

It was a high school rock band so the session was limited by their inexperience and quality of instruments.

One thing that struck me as odd is the TL audio M8 board gets a lot of praise, but according to the website the pre's are the same as their Ivory rack units. Figure that one out.

Back