TL Audio 5001 questions.

Stefan Elmblad

Im considering buying the TL Audio 5001 and replace the tubes in three of it's channels to get 4 mono channels of different tube sound. Questions is:

1. Is it hard to change the tubes ? Tubes should be replaced now and then so I guess it shouldn't be.

2. Can anyone recommend any tube brands they know that have a very "signature sound". On very clean, one dirty etc whatever.

3. Which brand of tubes is equipped from the factory ?

4. Has anyone tried this before and have some tips ?

5. Most important question, is the Ivory2 series worth the extra cost vs a used Ivory1 ?

EDIT: I see know that the 5001 unit uses some weird wiring, each channel uses half of 2 tubes ???? one ECC83 and one 12AX7 for each 2 channels.... what a fucking moron construction.. oh well, guess I have to settle for 2 stereo pairs of different sonics then. Maybe I should drop this idea.

EDIT 2: Or maybe this stupid configuration only applies to the Ivory2 series ?? anyone know ?

Sorry; not much help here, other than to bump your thread to the top...

But I have to comment: at www.thelisteningsessions.com, I heard the TL Audio 5001 mic'ing an electric guitar amp (w/a Studio Projects C1), and was severely disappointed in it. Clearly, it was the worst for that application.

Now, that's not to say it wouldn't be great for vocals, or even guitar amp with a different mic. But the TL Audio 5001/C1 on guitar amp sounded like ass.

Thanks for your time :)

In response to participant, I own a TLA 5001 (along with other pre's) and have found no problems using it as a pre for electric guitar amp recording (using an SM57)...my
suspicions would be the C1 is the problem here, all things being equal (mic placement,
actual "sound" of amp, etc.) This is, of course, only my own opinion, but it is based on
some experience using this piece so Stefan, don't give up so easily without more
research or actual use of this pre (as well as the Envoice, etc.)

As to your original question, I can't see why other tubes that "spec out" the same as
what comes with the 5001 wouldn't give you a different flavour, I wouldn't mix them
up however, there are other "things" inside the box that are commonly shared between
the channels, and they may not "play well" with each other....that being said, I'n no
tech so check it out further, its and idea!

BW

Sorry,

I meant to say "it's an idea"

and also, no offence meant to participant as
I re-read his post and he essentially was saying
the same thing regarding different mics and amps...
this wasn't meant to be confrontational, just wanted
to point out my own experience with this pre has been
pretty positve, sound very good as a DI for bass as well!

Thanks,

BW

participant said:
Sorry; not much help here, other than to bump your thread to the top...

But I have to comment: at www.thelisteningsessions.com, I heard the TL Audio 5001 mic'ing an electric guitar amp (w/a Studio Projects C1), and was severely disappointed in it. Clearly, it was the worst for that application.

Now, that's not to say it wouldn't be great for vocals, or even guitar amp with a different mic. But the TL Audio 5001/C1 on guitar amp sounded like ass.

Thanks for your time :)
I dunno WHAT exactly about it did you think sucked (BTW, it wasn't the 5001, it was the 5051, a complete channelstrip with 4 band semi-parametric EQ and a fully fledged compressor), but all the C1-guitar tracks sounded like eachother.

The only pre to my ears that really sucked was the VTB-1, way too muddy and too unfocussed. I downloaded all the SM57 and C1 files from the Speck, John Hardy M1, Great River 1 and 2, Phoenix Audio DRS-1, VTB-1 and TL Audio Ivory 2 5051, and the TL Audio 5051 SM57-track was almost on par with the Phoenix DRS-2. The Great Rivers sounded better to my ears for rock stuff, since they had this 'gut' low-mid stuff going on.

anyway, you musn't compare apples with oranges, the SM57 was CLOSE MICED and it's a DYNAMIC MIC, the C1 was more ROOM MICED and it's a CONDENSOR mic...

Back