Tips on using a high pass filter in CEP

werewolf831

Is it possible to record with a high pass filter working as the track is being recorded, and how so? Or is it just as well to put a high pass filter on a track once it has been recorded? I tried the latter, and I noticed that the waveform actually got bigger as I used a high pass filter (from the Scientific Filter) to cut out the lows. I figured the reverse to happen.
Thanks for the help,
werewolf

"Is it possible to record with a high pass filter working as the track is being recorded, and how so?"

Nope, not possible. If you wanna do that, you have to use an outboard EQ unit.

As for mixing with Cool's EQ (or any other EQ): yeah, you'll sometimes find that cutting the low end from a track will have the effect of boosting its overall amplitude. My guess is that this happens when the track's already got quite a lot of mids and highs and not so much in the lower end. By contrast, if you cut the lows from a bass guitar track, the waveform will shrink a bit - I think that's cuz you're removing what really gives the track its body.

But don't worry too much about what the waveform looks like - pay more attention to what it *sounds* like. After you run that highpass on it, does it sound less muddy or less boomy? Yes? Good!

Back