Tips on this mix?

The positioning in the mix sounds good to me. The drums are a little boomy @ the 1:24 mark and again in the outro @ 2:22 on. I would lower the lead vocal a couple dBs, or maybe just add some compression to it - see what it sounds like. I like the tune. It's got a nice, clean sound and the synth isn't overpowering. The bass jumps it into a nice little Fleetwood Mac groove @ the :29 mark - I like that.

Thanks spantini, it's maybe the toms that are booming.
There are 2 compressors on the vocal but I always have trouble compressing vocals. Any hints? Cheers

Well, I suggested compression more as a way to reduce the vocal gain a bit while adding light compression at the same time. Add light compression which should drop the output a little (using no makeup gain) - something along those lines.

Are you using 2 compressors on the one track, or in a track/master setup? I use a 2 knob compressor - one for compression and a second for makeup gain.

klanghelm jr.png

Last edited:
Just messin' around... I'd disable the C1. Then I would cut the gain back a little on the CLA-2A to reduce the volume on the vocal - see how that sounds. Then I'd put that gain back where it was and cut the mix fader a few dBs - see how that sounds. Still the main point being to reduce the vocal's volume, not really going for much compression. Just see what these sound like.

I might even duplicate the track and do one on one track, the other on the second. Then you could flip between them on playback to get a quicker, on the fly comparison.

Last edited:
I think this sounds great. I'm no technician but that vocal sounds just great in the mix aside from the 'Light on' refrain where it seems a little outside the mix. Maybe try a different reverb or a dab of chorus. Cool song and nice work.

Mark

Nice composition. The changup to the chorus is really good. I like your guitar tones too. Mixwise nothing stood out on headphones. I enjoyed it, nice job

Starts great, good balance, decent overall tone nice width & ambience. The vocal treatment is a bit dry for me.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of this one. Sounds good. Backing vocals aren't fully working. And maybe the main vocal needs a very slight scoop in some sort of low mid area and just a hair more brightness. But overall, cool. It works. Nice song.

What Monkey Allen said. BGVs JUMPED out in front of the lead singer in the chorus and just sounds ... sticking out like a sore thumb.

Once you get that tamed, hit the two bus lightly w/ a limiter to bring the overall volume up. Do NOT smash it - keep it louder, but natural.

Back