Tips for session guitarists

Wrecking Crew....watched some youtubes and similar story maybe more creativity than sight reading required, but the guitar gear was a smaller amp.single speaker due to less weight and carrying all over the place....Princeton, fuzz pedal as times changed, a cable and a guitar... amazing some of the 1960's tunes they did and to see them play it on a youtube...internet's great for those stories.

interesting in the above link was the Studio Engineers might prefer a Fractal or Line6 Helix type DI/ Amp sim pedal box. I guess thats technical advancement.
Makes sense the player could have an ocean of tones at his disposal and not need the normal amp hassles...light weight, even a spare, just easy , no ,mic bleed or isolation room needed. For HR a Amp Plugin... and headphones....hard to deny the benefits.

I did the downsizing thing in the late 80's early 90's. One of our guitar player's (band leader) switched from a Traynor head and 412 cab pushing 100W to a tiny combo around 30W. I switched from an Ampeg SVT 810 bass setup to a Roland GP-8 rack processor. We miked the 30W guitar combo and put the GP-8 straight into the PA or FH. No more lugging boat anchors around town.

pushing 100W to a tiny combo around 30W.
When you dial the rig in , it is like magic. Cream.

I like landing the gain knob 66% way up, and have it comfortable to sing with on the Porch, Like 6-8" speaker cabinets. Say 15-22 power amp rating in watts..

Or using the power amp as a Power Slave. It will Slave at the optimum output volume.
Screenshot 2023-04-22 160604.jpg

Last edited:
When you dial the rig in , it is like magic. Cream.

I like landing the gain knob 66% way up, and have it comfortable to sing with on the Porch, Like 6-8" speaker cabinets. Say 15-22 power amp rating in watts..

Or using the power amp as a Power Slave. It will Slave at the optimum output volume.
View attachment 128250
Is that a Mesa Boogie rack? Same size as my old GP-8 :

gp8.jpg

The 20/20 is a rack device. AWESOME.

Roland Rack FX device..nah, go with the 1994 Flagship, the RSP-550...Black Hole Preset!

Delay box...I'm Torn..either the Yamaha D5000 Clearmountain..or Korg's 96' Masterpizza the DL8000.

Lexicon is FAIL
T.C. is too mediocre
Anything after 1999 is FAIL
Join the Bee Ring with BeRinger..You need somethin with balls

Last edited:
Looks like the Strymon Iridium is the hot lick lately. I wouldn't mind having one, but most pedals are geared toward lead guitarists - I'm more rhythm. If they'd knock $400 off the price, I'd get one anyway.

Back