Tips and Tricks for the Masterlink??

Tonewoods

What's your strategy for using the various DSP functions, for example? EQ first, then limit, then normalize, or ??? in order to achieve a CD that will survive in a random play CD player...?

(More) questions for Mike Nicoletti...

Yes, excellent questions, Tonewoods, that perhaps mnicoletti can shed some light on.

Speaking of which (whom), Mike, I tried your suggestion of using the limiter with the threshold at -4db and it did bump things up a notch. I also am using the compression at -4 threshold and +4 output -- is that a good thing? Plus, I'm normalizing AND using EQ. Is this box meant to use ALL the DSP at once, or does it become self-defeating?

Question: when mixing stuff to the ML, how high on the ML meters can you safely go? Can it dip into the red without causing havoc? Will the limiter ultimately tame that peak?
If the recorded signal is not that hot, I've been using the function of raising the level of the recording afterwards, but am not sure how much I can push it.

Another thing that puzzles me is, that after the rendering process, a rendered file is created. Then, if I'm not please with the results (after burning and listening to a CD), I go back to the playlist and change the settings. Is the original rendered image then RE-rendered so I always have the latest incarnation of the image?

One final thought: Even though I just purchased my ML in March, it still had the version 1.5 (or some lower one). If I ever get the newest version and upgrade, will that process wipe out what's saved on the hard drive?

Thanks much!!

spwee

Hi, Spwee,

I'll number these. It's easier! ;)

1. MasterLink's DSP occurs in a set order...I'll have to check on what that is, since I am writing this at home...

2. You can use all DSP together if needed. If the file is 24/96, you probably can use three at once, since 24/96 takes up a lot of bandwidth.

3. You should always Normalize LAST, since the Normalize calculation takes the other DSP settings into account.

4. Like any digital recorder, there is no headroom beyond 0 dBfs, so do not go into the red.

5. NOTE: The meters are calibrated for the 32 bit processing in MasterLink. If you are going right up to 0dBfs, then burn a Redbook (16bit / 44.1KHz) CD, then play it back, you can occasionally see "Overs" on the meters. Do not fear, this is only the display. You are not clipping. Do not adjust your set(tings). :p

6. The Rendered Image is in fact saved until you render again. This way you can make multiple CDs from a Rendered Image without having to render everytime.

7. Anything software less than version 2.00 will need a reformat of the hard drive when installing 2.02. This is because the file system was altered in 2.00.

Hope this was helpful,

Mike

Thanks, Mike

Regarding your directions under #3, about Normalizing last -- I don't think I understand how to accomplish that. When I'm getting ready to burn a CD from a playlist, I choose which DSP I'm going to use, set the parameters, then push the "Create CD" button. Then the ML does its thing. I can't see a way to control what's done first or last. Is there another way to initiate the DSP process without creating a CD?

Also, will it ever be possible to move individual tracks to different playlists? I'm still on OS v1.5.

Thanks again.

spwee

mnicoletti said:
Hi, Spwee,

4. Like any digital recorder, there is no headroom beyond 0 dBfs, so do not go into the red.

Mike

I've been playing some of my fav CDs on the Masterlink, and it's facinating to check out the levels...

Invariably, they are red-lining the levels *all the time*...(or, more accuratly, "orange-lining")...

The trick then, I guess, is to figure out just how far to push those levels...

Hey, Mr. Tone of Woods

Hmm, I've never done that -- play regular commercial CD's on the ML. It would be interesting to see how the meters jump.

After reading alot of posts on the subjects of mixing and mastering from experts here and on www.digido.com, I believe I'm guilty of ladeling on the DSP because I CAN, rather than because I SHOULD. As prescribed, I need to go back to my mix and listen with new ears to determine what each tune needs individually, rather than just applying the processing in wholesale fashion. I'm a DPS LOOSE CANNON!!!

Thanks for your reply,

spwee

Tonewoods said:

I've been playing some of my fav CDs on the Masterlink, and it's facinating to check out the levels...

Invariably, they are red-lining the levels *all the time*...(or, more accuratly, "orange-lining")...

The trick then, I guess, is to figure out just how far to push those levels...

Hi, Spwee,

Set your other DSP first, then if you need Normalizing, set it to ON and say YES to Calculate? The MasterLink, taking other DSP settings into account, will calculate how much gain it needs to add to get the hottest signal in the track up to 0 dB.

In Version 2.0, there is (in Utility) a "Render Playlist to Image" function that will render without burning.

To move tracks to different playlists, you need to be in PLAYLIST EDIT. You also need to be in the Playlist that you want to move the track into. Skip ahead to the audio files that reside AFTER the last song in the Playlist. Then just use the TRACK MOVE function.

Tonewoods, the reason the commercial CDs appear to almost clip (or indeed appear to clip) is my point #5 from above:

"5. NOTE: The meters are calibrated for the 32 bit processing in MasterLink. If you are going right up to 0dBfs, then burn a Redbook (16bit / 44.1KHz) CD, then play it back, you can occasionally see "Overs" on the meters. Do not fear, this is only the display. You are not clipping. "

Hope this helps,

Mike

Thanks, Mike

After writing my email, I did remember that with Normalizing you can calculate the tracks, which I have done. I guess I'm still confused since compression, limiting, and normalizing all seem to be trying to accomplish the same goal by different means -- getting the signal as high as possible without going over 0db. I've read where several pro mastering engineers prefer not to use the Normalizing function, but I'm sure tha many do. I have to keep educating myself to learn when I need it and when I don't.

Thanks again,

spwee

You're very welcome.

I find Normalizing is usually not needed when compressing and limiting, since you'll probably be at digital full scale (0dBfs) before you use it.

Mike

Excellent...

...that's what logic would seem to dictate, and why I didn't employ Normalizing on my last mix -- just compression and some limiting.

A couple of posts ago, you suggested I try the Limiter at -4 or
-5. Was that the threshold or the output or both? Is it essentially the same kind of operation as compression where you would want both values to be equal in order to offset the lowering of signal level?

Slowly, but surely...

Thanks again,

spwee

Hi, Spwee,

The -4 was the threshold....of course your value may vary. ;)

Actually I have never changed the Output value. I just try different thresholds, just to get the "apparent" level hotter...

Mike

Back