Timing

baz66

I've noticed something unusual that someone may be able to advise me with a solution.
I recorded a song (audio) last night at 90bpm and over 100 measures, the timing was out by nearly 1/4 of a beat.
I use a KB to put down the basic tracks and then add extras if I want for the song.
What would be causing the difference?(I'm using studio one as the DAW)Is this enough info?
Barry

I will start by saying 'NO'. What is KB?

If you recorded in Studio One at a certain tempo, then I am not sure how it could be off...

Sorry though as I have no personal use of Studio One as a DAW. Not many here that do. :(

Sounds like you may have a setting wrong somewhere.

Hopefully someone using your DAW will jump in with useful answers. :)

I had to stare and think about that for a while. I think KB is keyboard?

I'm not sure how to interpret this:

the timing was out by nearly 1/4 of a beat.
What timing was out with what? The KB was out with the click track? A sequencer of some kind was out with itself? The keyboard was out with the metronome for dinner and never called to say what time they'd be home? Not getting it. :eek:

I had to stare and think about that for a while. I think KB is keyboard?

I'm not sure how to interpret this:

What timing was out with what? The KB was out with the click track? A sequencer of some kind was out with itself? The keyboard was out with the metronome for dinner and never called to say what time they'd be home? Not getting it. :eek:

And with one 'good eye' you managed to make some sense of this...

Seems it went well today RAMI? GREAT to here man!

And with one 'good eye' you managed to make some sense of this...

Seems it went well today RAMI? GREAT to here man!
Thanx a lot Jimmy. Yeah, went well. Had the worst head ache until about an hour ago. And you're right, I'm literally working with one eye. I'll be blind in the other one for at least 2 weeks from what they tell me.

Yeah sorry. The KB is a korg pa3x I'm running it into a zynxz mixer and into audiobox usb. I also use a kn6000 KB so I'll check if that does it too.
I would have thought that the computer side of it was infallible for timing so I'm leaning towards the korg.I've never seen a calibration in a daw but I mayby wrong. After all, I'm only a beginner at this.
The timing thing is not a big concern tho.
I'd just like it to be right so I'm curious.
Barry

Thanks all. I've run the kn6000 over 100 measures and the timing is spot on. Ran the korg again at the same timing and it's 1/8 slow over 100 measures
I'll head over to the korg forum to post again. Thanks for the comments. One was amusing.
Barry

It sounds like Barry is playing a sequence on his Korg at 100bpm and recording it to the DAW which is also set at 100bpm, and they are not synched together. And they are then drifting apart.

It sounds like Barry is playing a sequence on his Korg at 100bpm and recording it to the DAW which is also set at 100bpm, and they are not synched together. And they are then drifting apart.
Considering he's still not answering the question, I can only assume 2 things:

1) You're probably right.

b) I've lost interest. :eek:

:D

In order for everything to stay in sync, any two devices need to be locked together. If you connected the kb to the computer via midi and told the kb to slave to the daw's clock, that wouldn't happen.

In essence, both the computer and the keyboard are right, they just don't have the same clock.

Ah see! I am answering.I just don't speak your language.
I didn't know about the sync. I'll go read about it.
How come the kn6000 (a 15 year old KB) can do it auto. Funny.
By the way, the timing is only out on the audio. Does this make a difference?
Barry

Don't know if this is moot??
In Cubase there is an option to "Use System Timestamp" AFAIK this locks everything, MIDI, audio (vid?) to the computer's internal clock and so everything stays in sync.

Studio One could have same?

Dave.

Yup. The clocks are not synched.

To Barry: Your Korg clock is not calibrated equally with your DAW.

Exactly. If you start two clocks at the same time, eventually they will not be in sync anymore. So you have to somehow hook the two things together in such a way that it allows both units to run off of one clock. The computer clock would be the preferred one in this case. Not because it is more accurate, but because you will be running the session from it.

And no, you really aren't answering our questions. For example, you said that the audio is the only thing out of sync. What else would there be? Out of sync with what?
When you say that you run the korg alone the timing is fine...compared to what?

All of your answers assume we are standing next to you, seeing what you are doing. We aren't, so we don't have your frame of reference.

And no, you really aren't answering our questions. For example, you said that the audio is the only thing out of sync. What else would there be? Out of sync with what?
When you say that you run the korg alone the timing is fine...compared to what?

All of your answers assume we are standing next to you, seeing what you are doing. We aren't, so we don't have your frame of reference.
That was exactly my point. It has nothing to do with "speaking the same language". It's about being totally vague and then assuming everyone knows what you're thinking.

OK jay and rami. You got me there. You are exactly right. The trouble was, I just don't know enough to understand what info I should tell you without turning it into a novel, so point taken.
Have a good day.
Barry

Back