Timing Problems?

Nalencer

I'm programming MIDI drums on the computer, from a book that has them for the song in question. But... the book says 53 bars, but the original song is somehwere around 67 bars. I don't get it. This book always does this. For the two times I've copied drums from it, they were always off. Last time they were too long, this time too short. I checked it against another book last time, and they agreed.

But the thing is, last time I sang along to them at the right speed, and it synched up perfect. I know it sounds crazy, but it's what happened. However, this time I can't get it to synch up when I sing at the right speed.

Now, this wouldn't be a problem without the bass. That's because this song is literally one bar of drums repeated ad infinitum - 53 times according to the book, 67(ish) according to the song. So I could just copy that one bar of drums out to the right number of times, but the bass I also need to program, which means doing it by measurment, not just playing it like the guitar. The problem is, the bass is NOT just one bar, but patterns of bars.

So the problem is this - the drums are incorrect, so if I leave them as is they're too short for the song. If I extend them, they're too short for the bass. I have no idea what to do, and I don't see what suggestions anyone can offer, but if you do have any ideas, that's be a big help.

Nalencer said:
I have no idea what to do, and I don't see what suggestions anyone can offer, but if you do have any ideas, that's be a big help.
So in other words you've already given up, eh?

I can't believe that. After all, you took the time out of your busy day to post here...

The problem may be easier to solve than you think.

Try counting the bars in the bass part. You will probably notice some repeating patterns, because that's generally what pop and rock songs are make up of. If you can identify, say, the first four bars as an introduction leading into an eight or sixteen bar verse you are halfway there. If the verse is followed by an eight or sixteen bar chorus and there is an eight or sixteen bar bridge in there somewhere you've just mapped out the song for yourself!

Then it should be easy to program the bass or any other instrument.

And when in doubt trust your own ears over anyone else's suspect written arrangement. They probably spent a fraction the time writing the arrangement as you've spent worrying about!

For your information I had solved the problem before you posted. I should have posted back, but still. Saying I gave up is quite an assumption.

Nalencer said:
Saying I gave up is quite an assumption.

I didn't say it, you did!

I was trying to give you a lil' pep talk, sourpuss.

I guess I sould've added a few dozen idiotic smileys - like this! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Back