Time

Twampy

This song started off as just a guitar track but we decided to add more backing. I have been working on this song for what seems like an eternity, which is quite ironic given the title of the song.
I've tried to get a slap bass effect but not sure if it sounds a bit clicky.
But here it is for you and any feedback is welcome.
https://soundcloud.com/twampy/time

Those footsteps at the beginning sounded kind of cool on headphones.

Generally the song is well performed and well put together.

The overall mix is missing a high end. The vocal has a bit higher end then the rest of the tracks, but just a bit. The lack of high end has the effect of making everything sound muffled.

If you added the reverb type and amount because you like it, that's great. However, it makes the mix sound like it's from the mid 80's. If it were me, I'd dry it up quite a bit.

But the big thing is the muffled sound. Maybe elaborate on your recording setup, including the room you record in.

After that, maybe we'll talk about the drums. :) They need some work as well.

When you say high end, do you mean using eq?
And a bit eighties lol, I must be showing my age, the song was written in 89.
My setup, I use sonar x2 and to record vocals I use a Berhinger C1 condenser mic in a fairy neutral room. My audio interface is an emu 1616. I use soft synths and a Korg TR rack for most of the backing.
I mix through headphones and through speakers. I use my old hifi but the speakers are very good quality, I am considering new monitors though.
I tend to end up bottom heavy on all my recordings so I must be going wrong somewhere.

Oh yes the footsteps, in high heals (not me!) Loads of reverb but played through speakers then recorded again into my mic. There is a bit of synth in there too, I had used a tardis recording which sounded way cool but it was copycopyrighted so I came up with the footsteps.

I think where it could be really improved is the low mids, it sounds muddy in that area, especially the bass guitar is not sitting well in the mix, it's probably the speakers fooling you, and also the room, you say the room is fairly neutral? what treatment do you have?

Since it seems like the entire mix has the same sort of "haze" / muffle over it.........and not just a track or two or three........I'm thinking a few things here. Since you say you mix on speakers AND phones.....it's unlikely that both of them are so un-revealing as to let your final product sound like that. If you mixed on one or the other exclusively and both were low quality I could see how you could get so far afield. And I assume you listen to your favorite music on the same speakers you mixed on and are familiar with how good final mixes sound as far as overall tonal ranges..........so the mystery is really strange here. When you play your mix right after playing something on a CD on the same unit.........can you hear the difference? Not to be sarcastic but maybe your upper frequency hearing is not what it used to be? The sound sort of reminds me of how some of my very old tapes sounded after years in storage. No high end.

Just a small room, heavy curtains, a bed and speakers on the wall at head height. The walls are blank, no mirrors or pictures. I'd say the room is fairly flat. When recording vocals I have a sponge board behind the mic about a foot away and stand infront of the curtains. Not perfect by any means. Also my mate does the lead vocals but lives miles away so it's a one shot a couple of tomes a year then I do my best to work with what I've got.

That a very valid point, my ears are 49 years old just like me and I played in a loud band so I don't fully trust my judgment. And I hardly listen to other music at home so yes you have a point there as I'm not comparing my work to other commercial music.
My headphones are old but very high quality and I would not go past them.

Time remastered

Ok all, I have done a bit of work on the track and I believe I have lifted it.
I could not bring myself to remove too much reverb though, it must be the eighties child in me. :-)
I have been using compression on most tracks and also on the main output so I have taken the compression off the main output and tweaked the eq on the guitars and the overall mix.

https://soundcloud.com/twampy/time-remastered

You should've added this to the other post rather than making a new one then people would know what you're on about and doing.

My 2pence worth on this mix is that it is lacking in the low end. the drums have no BOOM to them at all. The bass is OK for this mix but I would think if you gave the drums some more attention you will want to revisit the bass and adjust it accordingly. The guitars are lacking in substance for me as well. They're all high end and no Oomph!

Sounds better than the first mix I heard but still has a hazy/washy sound over all.

* I'd ask a Mod to merge this thread if I were you. More chance of getting the original commentators to ome back for a second review.

:thumbs up:

That a very valid point, my ears are 49 years old just like me and I played in a loud band so I don't fully trust my judgment. And I hardly listen to other music at home so yes you have a point there as I'm not comparing my work to other commercial music.
My headphones are old but very high quality and I would not go past them.

Twampy..........the first thing I'd do is play some commercial music (as much as you can) on your monitor / speaker system..........and your headphones. That will give you an idea what an average mix may could sound like. It's a good starting point and may reveal what we're talking about. You need some sort of frame of reference. I think that will help you out.

Twampy..........the first thing I'd do is play some commercial music (as much as you can) on your monitor / speaker system..........and your headphones. That will give you an idea what an average mix may could sound like. It's a good starting point and may reveal what we're talking about. You need some sort of frame of reference. I think that will help you out.

Now why didn't I say that? :) This is good advice. Listen to pro mixes in the genre you want to emulate. You should be able to hear differences between your mix and those mixes. Then the job of improving begins. :)

I think you addressed your lack of high end issues. But like Mr. Clean said, the mix is now missing a low end. There is a bass and a kick there, I think they need to be turned up. The kick moreso than the bass.

A double tracked lead vocal would work well here.

What are you doing for drums? They're pretty weak sounding.

I think I'm starting again with the drums, I like the rhythm but it's getting lost. I have been trying various patterns and I actually pinched most of the beat off a Smith's midi file but it's got no expression so back to the drawing board there. I am using session drummer 3 on sonar which I think is pretty good. I have just set up a new session with individual tracks for each drum sound and I am currently trying different kicks and snares.
I am finding the drums a pain in the ass lol. I'm no good atmaking my own patterns so I am relying on what is in sonar or other midi files, the problem is choice.
Maybe I will work on some beats.

Ahhhh...........the "fog" is lifting!! This version is far and away much better than the original. I'm curious.........how did you decide what adjustments to make? There's still a sort of a muddy sound to it but you're on the right track. The lows have no punch to them and the tones for each track........voice or whatever.......are all so very similar still. Play each track alone and listen to see if that's how each instrument would sound if it was right in the room with you and you were playing it. You'll see what I'm getting at. Do the same for each vocal part. Don't rely on an "overall" EQ on the mix on the master. Keep at it!! I know you'll get it there!!

Cheers,
I looked at the individual tracks all the guitars go through one bus and I am now thinking I need to split them up as I just changed the eq on the bus.
I then exported the track and then imported it back in to a template I've made and adjust the overall eq. I also compared it to a bowie song for ckarity, used my ears and eyes. I used a multiband compressor and compared the highs and lows of the frequencies on both tracks.
I also turned of the graphic eq on my hifi. So I've been busy! This mixing lark is not easy.
Oh and when I listen through headphones I plug in to my emu because it is so clear compared to the headphone option on my hifi but I think I should only listen through the hifi as it's on the dull side and it will encourage me to boost everything.

Ok Twampy....good start....keep going.

1. Ditch the headphones for now.
2. Adjust your "hifi" to sound "good" on your Bowie CD.
3. Split the tracks up and EQ them one at a time as if you had only that track on your song. Start with the EQ flat and make small changes as you go.
4. Don't rely too much on your visual of the compressor for "lows" and highs". You can go crazy that way.
5. It's ok to EQ your hifi to where you like it. In the end....when you play your song through it it has to sound good right?
6. Make a CD copy of your song and play it through your car system.......on your friends system.......etc.....etc.
Welcome to our world.;)

Ok Twampy....good start....keep going.

1. Ditch the headphones for now.
2. Adjust your "hifi" to sound "good" on your Bowie CD.
3. Split the tracks up and EQ them one at a time as if you had only that track on your song. Start with the EQ flat and make small changes as you go.
4. Don't rely too much on your visual of the compressor for "lows" and highs". You can go crazy that way.
5. It's ok to EQ your hifi to where you like it. In the end....when you play your song through it it has to sound good right?
6. Make a CD copy of your song and play it through your car system.......on your friends system.......etc.....etc.
Welcome to our world.;)

This is all reasonable, I would adjust one comment. Set your Hi-Fi they way you listen to music (all music), then you can use it as a reference. I wouldn't adjust to your music or else your chasing too many variables. Set it to what it usually is for the music you like, then leave it. As stated, check on a few systems, then adjust your mix from there for a balance across the systems.

I am not an expert, but if you go twisting knobs on everything, then you don't have a point of reference. Reference is the point.

You're still mixing so you've not mastered or remastered.
Kick should have some thud in it and bass does need some bass.
Keep going - you're making steady progress.
Add changes to a single thread - people shouldn't need to flips across threads to follow your progress.

Back