Time to upgrade my handheld recorder

Which handheld digital recorder do you preffer?

• TASCAM DR-100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • EDIROL R-09 HR

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

javierf55

Hello,

I have a Tascam DR-03 which is quite good as a starting point but there are two things that I don't like much; first is a battery eater and second is not good for A-B point loops.

Then I'm thinking to upgrade for a handheld and I have these three options:

TASCAM DR-100
ZOOM H4N
EDIROL R-09 HR

All three are around $300-$320

I would like to hear from actual users; thanks in advance.

I use the Zoom H4n for recording my band, a Beatles tribute band. It does a surprisingly good job capturing the house mix. I just set it on top of my efx rack, with a small tripod, roughly 6 ft off the ground, at the FOH. It doesn't sound cheap or thin, like many portable recorders. It gives me, and the guys in the band, a very good idea of just how gifted a sound mixer I am :)

Seriously, I've never been ashamed of what it recorded. It's very forgiving, not too thin, not too fat.

Thanks for answering Michaelst; I have two questions if you don't mind:

1. Have you ever tryied to connect the H4n directly to a computer software like Audacity?
2. Can you ever tryied to use the LOOP funtion (A-B Point) as one of the main reasons I have for upgrading my current Tascam DR-03 is that I'm not having a smooth operation of the loop as at the moment of repeating the loop I'm getting a kind of "jump" which makes the loop useless.

Thanks again,

Javier... I have not used those functions on the Zoom. However, I can tell you the operation of the unit is clear, simple and easy to use. It's a well designed, well engineered piece of recording equipment.

Back