Ticking sound on recording, nowhere else, all sources

VTmosaic

Is it possible that my problem is with Cakewalk Home Studio XL 2004?

Here is my problem:

I get ticking sounds on all my tracks... some more noticeable than others. The tracks that are of vocals: very slight, but definitely there. More like a crackling... slight series of ticks on high frequency and/or loud vocal parts.

But when we do guitars... it's really annoying and obvious.

The bass: not bad, but noticeable if one is really looking for them, PLUS I can SEE the ticks in the wave form with the bass, little spikes, little thin lines shooting straight up and back down. We don't think it's pick noise, but could be wrong.

In all cases, the higher the recording input amplitude, the louder the ticks. I also suspect that the frequency of the wave may be a factor for how much ticking there is and how noticeable. We don't notice it on drums, but we think that's because those ticks would be totally LOST to our ears against the drum sounds.

But, we only very occasionally notice any of the noise while we are just listening to the sound card output. We can play or sing or recite the same phrase at the same volume and just listen to the soundcard and it's clean as a whistle. I mean this problem noise is basically not there. UNTIL we record it. We don't even notice any ticking when we monitor while recording. It's not til playback. It seems to be part of the recorded waveform, though... it always happens in the same place. And the noise can be heard in the mixed down .wav audio, as well.

If we record with a much lower amplitude, the ticking on the recording seems quieter... but is still noticeable. If we record hot... the noise is very much louder, so it's not a SNR issue, is it? It seems to keep the same relationship to the amplitude of the original sound. So if we recorded hot, the ticking is really hot. If we recorded very low gain... skinny little waveform.. .the ticking is there, but as much quieter as the actual audio is.

We are using an M-Audio Delta1010. Our computer is so fast and supposedly powerful that the kid that built it for us wanted to take on some other computers on the net, whatever that meant. I just doubt that our problem is processor being too slow, though maybe it is competing for IRQ with the fancy-schmancy video card.

We are monitoring this with headphones. We can hear EVERY LITTLE THING. But we are so scrimping that we can't afford the nearfield monitors, yet.

But, this ONLY happens when recording. I am thinking about installing a copy of freebie Audacity to see if the same thing happens there. But, I was wondering... maybe someone has already had this problem and can save us a few trouble-shooting steps or give us some new ideas of things to try when we run out of the ones we can think of?

I have tried all the drivers: ASIO, WDM, MME. No difference that I could notice. I have increased cache sizes... virtual disk size... changed the video settings for optimum performance... and there's probably more I can do.

But am I wasting my time, on a wild goose chase, in messing with these settings? There are so many possibilities! But it seems, by process of elmination, to be happening during the sampling, during the recording. We've tried at 44,100 and 96,000. Doesn't seem to make any difference.

But this is digital noise, true? Caused by missing data in the saved digital data, as I understand how all this works. We have almost no other kind of noise anywhere we can find in the chain... just when we lay down the track.

Would appreciate any shortcuts, or advice. thanks very much.

VTmosaic said:
Our computer is so fast and supposedly powerful that the kid that built it for us wanted to take on some other computers on the net, whatever that meant.

Well that would be my first concern. Building a super-hot PC for playing games, is not necessarily the same way you would approach building a PC for audio. :D

There are few areas I would suggest to start with to eliminate this problem.

First and easiest is to try a different version of the Delta drivers. Go to the m-audio website and download several different versions. The ones I would try are .27, .36, .42 and .46. You are probably already using one of these, so try the others and see if they help clear it up.

Secondly I would look for a IRQ conflict with your video card. Also, it is likely the kid installed a video card for superfast 3d rendering. You don't need that for audio work, so you might try lowering the graphics acceleration level.

Third, do you have dual hard drives installed? Oftentimes if you only have a single hard drive - even a big, fast one - you can run into problems of this nature. That is due to the fact that the OS or Sonar might be competing for the hard drive while you are trying to save audio to it. For audio, it is better to have two smaller hard drives rather than one large one.

Fourth (maybe this should be first), have you optimized the computer for audio? Turned off all background processes, virus checkers, etc? There is some good information on the web for this. Here's one link to start with: http://www.musicxp.net/

Try the above and if you're still having problems, then come back and we'll see what else we can come up with.

dachay2tnr said:
Try the above and if you're still having problems, then come back and we'll see what else we can come up with.

We'll run down the checklist and keep you posted. This is very concrete stuff, great suggestions. Very educational.

Thank you very much!

Are you recording in 24 bit?
I've heard of M-Audio cards having some problems with clicking
During record, when recording at higher than 16 Bit/44.1 kHz...
Do you have a VIA chipset?
I think people have resolved this by udpating the VIA Drivers...

Disposable said:
Are you recording in 24 bit?
I've heard of M-Audio cards having some problems with clicking
During record, when recording at higher than 16 Bit/44.1 kHz...
Do you have a VIA chipset?
I think people have resolved this by udpating the VIA Drivers...

Seems that our chipset is nForce3 150? Not VIA, I think.

We are recording at 24 bits, but that's what its says right on the front of the breakout box, it's why we bought it... so we sure hope it isn't the card. But, I did just update the driver, which didn't seem to help, at least not noticeably. I also was reading in the help section of Cakewalk that there are are a lot of settings yet that I haven't even plumbed.

I was able to improve the noise a lot by following dachay2tnr's advice about changing my display hardware acceleration... set it as low as possible, turned off all the little bells and whistles for display (like "animated" drop downs, etc).

In addition, my partner in crime, while playing around with the mix a while back, had put a LOT of compression on several tracks, in addition to compression on the busses and the main... I went throught and deleted ALL the effects except the EQ on the bass. This made a very large difference.

Then, I was able to boost the input gain for recording for some reason, and it was much clearer. I recorded a hotter vocal track and the noise was definitely less, though still there a tiny bit. However, NOT noticeable in the mix, only with headphones and soloed.

I also found that my latency wasn't set for maximum (avoiding dropouts and other problems during recording). I fixed that.

All in all, it's much better now.

I thank you both very much for your assistance!

Last edited:
Back