Ticket to Mastering and Recording Tips!

Got to start some where:) Just wait, with a little attention anything grows.
Good luck to you guys!

You're right you do have to start somewhere. Perhaps you have started by telling us it was your site not something "you found." I think we'd have given you a fair shake--we just don't like being suckered.

Fair enough?

Im a professional in anything i persue, just not webdesign lol.:D

Just think, one time we were all just young crappy engineers now we have plaques on our walls and platinum sellers under our belt.:D

But honestly, from experimentation comes gratification

Im a professional in anything i persue, just not webdesign lol.:D

Just think, one time we were all just young crappy engineers now we have plaques on our walls and platinum sellers under our belt.:D

But honestly, from experimentation comes gratification

And some of us are older crappy engineers without plaques or platinums--that's not my point. My point was that you should chill and not try to fool us with your "great discovery." Try this "hey guys--I've started a website about recording. Check it out and let me know what you think."

I'm an experimenter too--trust me. (And I am a professional web designer. :)) So go for it. Experiment. Be gratified. Just be honest too.

Thank you for the info, but there is no "great discovery", the only good thing I discovered so far was your advise about honesty. And I will do that from now on.
I do apretiate your "slap em" then give em a little advise way of going about it.:D

Earwax, one more piece of honest advice:

Get yourself an editor...or at the very least a proofreader. That page you linked in the other forum had at least nineteen formatting, spelling or grammar mistakes in just five short paragraphs alone. You come across as someone who couldn't even graduate from grade school when you publish something in that state, no matter how "professional" you may profess to be. Yes, it does matter; perception is 90% of reality in this context.

A proofreader could handle that part of it. An editor who actually knows the business could handle things like editing out that whole line of BS about pros "keeping secrets" and the main thesis that mixing vocals should be reduced down to canned recipes without regard for the vocal tracking quality, the content of the rest of the mix, the arrangement of the song or the emotional flavor desired by the producer.

G.

I do not know about you but I have came across many engineers who did not want to share any info. And as far as recipes go, the article is on compression not "the rest of the mix or emotional content".;)

Here's some more advice kill-brill-ear-wax:

Maybe you should have browsed this forum a little to see the quality of people who post here before offering up your "secrets". There are a lot of people, both home recordists and seasoned pros, with and without plaques, dispensing solid and valuable advice on these pages daily. Right out in the light of day-no secrets.

Show me your Grammys and I will apologize. Otherwise...... Humble thyself and learn.

Hmmm. Sorry if that seemed harsh. I'm glad to get useful info from anywhere. But the dishonesty got under my skin as well.

What program do you us? And how long have you been doing doing it.:eek:

I can quite easily see you use Frontpage, Expression Web or Word (cba to work out which one, all I know is its rubbishy MS WYSIWYG output).

You shouldn't need to use 'a program'.
All you need is a simple text editor.
And a possibly a graphics program; I use the GIMP.
CSS is so flexible though... you can do a more-than-decent design with minimal graphics

I do not know about you but I have came across many engineers who did not want to share any info.
I have been on this forum for over three years and have met *many* professional audio engineers who share the real stuff on a daily basis. Before then I worked with many for many years who absolutely *loved* to be asked about and talk about their work.

Head down to you local bookstore and just check out the reams of books authored by some of the most famous names in the business along with enough magazine interviews to fill a band's equipment truck talking about techniques they used for this or that recording.

The only time they seem to keep any "secrets" is when they don't answer questions that don't make any sense, questions like "what is the best way to set my compressor?" There are no proper abstract, canned recipe answers to that question, and they tend to treat those looking for such non-existant shortcuts with disdain.
And as far as recipes go, the article is on compression not "the rest of the mix or emotional content".;)
And if you honestly believe that how you treat and compress the vocals can sensibly be talked about without considering who you are recording, how that vocal track came out of the recording, with what it's going to be mixed, and how you actually want the result to sound, you got a long way to go, my young friend.

Are you going to automatically compress a seasoned male nasally, quiet vocalist who knows how to work the mic, singing an angry version of an R&R ballad with only an acoustic accompaniment in a small, dark studio the same way you will compress a rookie female vocalist with a dynamic range like the Rocky Mountains and no stage presence or mic technique, singing the exact same ballad as a lonely gal instead of an angry dude in a reverberant room accompanied by 12 tracks of session cats?

G.

Are you going to automatically compress a seasoned male nasally, quiet vocalist who knows how to work the mic, singing an angry version of an R&R ballad with only an acoustic accompaniment in a small, dark studio the same way you will compress a rookie female vocalist with a dynamic range like the Rocky Mountains and no stage presence or mic technique, singing the exact same ballad as a lonely gal instead of an angry dude in a reverberant room accompanied by 12 tracks of session cats?

G.

Yes. 2:1. No threshold, I just set it to auto. :rolleyes:

Yes. 2:1. No threshold, I just set it to auto. :rolleyes:
Yea, well, as it says all over the pages of his website: "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Quisque ornare ipsum at erat. Quisque elementum tempus urna."

Can't argue with that. :D

BTW, did you know it's all copyrighted (c)0000 Company by Mr. Name?

The attention to detail is just incredible. :rolleyes:

G.

Back