Thumping sound... Gangsta Metal?

shreddist

Hey,
I have A Shure SM-57, Randall rh200sc, and gibson Les Paul Studio. When i record i get this ear killing bass thump (like the one you hear when your at the stop light and some guys jammin in the car next to you and your car windows are about to rattle off!) When i use a parametric EQ to remove this it thins the sound greatly. I even get this using the mic placed dead center on axis. Also whenever i record, it just doesnt sound as true as the amp does, i will put my ear next to the amp, then place the mic right where my ear was sounds completely different (thinner weaker and not as much that in your face sound). Im trying to record Heavy/death/black metal with alot of distortion.

Thanks Alot!
Drake

Wow thanks alot for that! I saw it earlier and didnt believe it enough to give it a shot. Its weird it sounds bad hearing the amp, but the recording is much better!

Are you playing this in a band setting or going solo? You will find this same logic to hold true anytime you are really trying to get a good guitar sound for extreme/heavy metal, be it for recording or for trying to cut through in a live setting. The sound you're describing sounds like the huge volume swing you run into with way too much distortion squashing the main meat of the signal but creating those huge farting honks any time you hit a few palm mutes or "chugs". Faderbug hits the nail on the head with this one! Less distortion! and if you are playing with a band, remember the bass guitar needs some room too so make the guitar occupy the space that it is meant to - midrange. When playing live or recording I don't necessarily love the sound of my amp all by itself but in the mix it sounds great!

Back