Threw out the Fostex 260 today

philboyd studge

That's all, trash truch just carried it off, manual and all. Transport wasn't working, didn't need the mixer, too expensive to fix, and not worth enough to sell.

Rokket said:
What did you replace it with?

Nothing really, I kept it around for when someone wanted a 4 track cassette converted to something else.

Got a lot of recording done on it in it's day though.

philboyd studge said:
Nothing really, I kept it around for when someone wanted a 4 track cassette converted to something else.

Got a lot of recording done on it in it's day though.
That's cool. At least it paid for itself. I am still hanging on to my old (well, it's not that old, really) Tascam. Every once in awhile, I get the urge to play around with it and push the limits of it without clipping, just too see. But it's gotten worse over the years with tape hiss, even though I've cleaned the capstans and rollers and the heads.

Rokket said:
That's cool. At least it paid for itself. I am still hanging on to my old (well, it's not that old, really) Tascam. Every once in awhile, I get the urge to play around with it and push the limits of it without clipping, just too see. But it's gotten worse over the years with tape hiss, even though I've cleaned the capstans and rollers and the heads.

I'd like to have back the time I've spent watching tape rewind.

philboyd studge said:
I'd like to have back the time I've spent watching tape rewind.
Wouldn't we all? I never even realized the time it took to record with a tape until I went digital. It used to take as long as 8 hours to get a song tracked, minus vocals. It was taking me 3 to 4 hours when I got the MR-8, and I was thinking that maybe I was rushing and not getting a good performance... not the case.
My Tascam has a zero end, so I just set that to rewind. I used to get up to get coffee or just stretch my legs while it rewound...

Rokket said:
Wouldn't we all? I never even realized the time it took to record with a tape until I went digital. It used to take as long as 8 hours to get a song tracked, minus vocals. It was taking me 3 to 4 hours when I got the MR-8, and I was thinking that maybe I was rushing and not getting a good performance... not the case.
My Tascam has a zero end, so I just set that to rewind. I used to get up to get coffee or just stretch my legs while it rewound...

Lots of actual studio time lost in rewind too. Remember how long overdubbing and punching in took?

All that time with tape has left me still thinking in terms of tape passing over two reels when working in digital format. I guess that's why I stick to stand alone DAW's and could never get comfortable with multi tracking on a computer. Sure like a computer for editing though.

Rokket said:
But it's gotten worse over the years with tape hiss, even though I've cleaned the capstans and rollers and the heads.
The heads need to be demagnetized, that's why.

I recently sold my Tascam Midistudio 644 on Ebay... I think the last time I actually put a tape in it was last summer to catch some ideas/riffs our singer was doodling on... Other than that, it was just being used as a mixer for keyboards so I figured someone else probably needed it more than me...
I don't miss waiting for it to rewind either (odd how we can get so spoiled so fast eh?) :rolleyes:

I think I got it off ebay for about $50 and sold it for over $100... :D

philboyd studge said:
Lots of actual studio time lost in rewind too. Remember how long overdubbing and punching in took?

All that time with tape has left me still thinking in terms of tape passing over two reels when working in digital format. I guess that's why I stick to stand alone DAW's and could never get comfortable with multi tracking on a computer. Sure like a computer for editing though.
I could never get the punch in exact, but close enough....

Back