Thoughts on this? and how to regain inspiration...

msnickybee

hi Folks!

You've been kind to me here before, and I guess I haven't been around since a big spurt of composing and recording up until last year. I've always used drum loops and also for bass guitar.
And for me, when I run out of inspiring ones of these (like I did in Mixcraft, as there were only so many soft/rock/acoustic ones), it kind of dries up.
This song came to me from a piano part I recorded a few years ago, and speeded up & added some delay.
I also seemed to find the right level of mix compression, and hating my voice (I guess Stevie Nicks always did, and so did Lennon), I've always struggled. All too easy to add way too much autotune too.

Anyway, hope you can find something in this... kind thoughts and much much love to all! (peace & love, peace & love)

You would probably be better-served by accepting your voice as it is and doing less processing on it overall. There are a ton of artifacts on this recording.

What is it you don't like about your own voice? If it's the tone, then most likely it's an over-thinking issue. The things you don't like no one else will even notice. If it's your ability to hit the pitches (hence the auto-tune), then practice more, I suppose.

Otherwise, the mix sounds decent. I might drop the string pad in a few locations. I don't know that it adds much when it's going the whole time.

Haw! I like it.
Now, -partly those 'artifacts?- I hear Barry Gibb. ;) So the first thing my head did as I listened was through in Bee Gee harmonies :) (Sorry, I sort of run on auto pilot like that :D

Very cool, on an overall production level. I wish I had the patience to shoot video and then edit a file to include the music. Maybe I should do that.

Mix-wise, it sounds pretty good. I think the drums are much too low. I'd look at other kick drums, as well. When this one is exposed, near the ,middle of the tune, it's a little "blippity bloppity". Those are music terms. But yeah, it's not a realistic, or very nice, sounding kick. Great guitar playing, and I thought the strings sounded great. Less vocal processing? +1. It doesn't fit the raw/real vibe the rest of the song gives out.

Excellent work overall.

Sounds good, but yeah, too many artifacts on the vocals IMO. There seems to be a click on the vocal track at :35 on the word "quiet" or just before it.

I, too, deal with the "is my voice good enough?" "does it sound good to others?"......I find myself changing up the way I sing from tune to tune trying to find my "niche'" and pocket. With your song here, I think you have a pretty distinct voice and it suits this song well. I wouldn't worry too much about that. It may be a little over processed though...can here it at times. As far as the song as a whole, I think it sounds pretty good. I would bring down the crashes as they stand way out and out of place. Plus they seem to be mainly on the left side. I was also waiting for the song to kick into something a little bigger, although thats just a writer's preference. Good job

I wish I had that problem. My voice just plain sucks. No ambiguity there! My range is approximately a minor third lol.

My only thought was to repeat what VHS had said about the vocal effects. I'm not sure your voice is all that bad. I'd like to hear it without the effects. I didn't like the effects - they put an "edge" to the vocal that didn't fit the otherwise pleasant feel to the song.

The artifacts are more annoying than your voice. Your voice is fine; I had no issue with it. But it's lacking something intangible...maybe "conviction"?
The best way to find inspiration is to listen to music you wouldn't otherwise, learn new chords from other genres, and/or think of music in an unconventional way (whatever that means to you, but one idea might be to pretend you're scoring a soundtrack). The more you get out of your own head the better.

With regard to the mix: drums are a tad low, voice is a tad high, and the panned vocal at the end didn't work for me.

Back