thoughts on the Satellite and firewire/usb pre question

aerospace1

ONYX pres are good. Satellite sucks! Nothin but latency and data transfer issues (clipping) with this thing. It's been said before on a couple other threads, but yeah I bought it when it came out and haven't touched it in months.

With that being said, are there any decent firewire-based preamps out there? Or USB? I think USB might acutally be better.

What I need is a pretty decent ($500 - $1k) pre-amp for vocals and guitar with a USB interface. Any suggestions regarding USB vs. firewire or a unit that might work for me? I have noticed that the high end pre-amps don't even bother implementing USB, etc. What is the best way to take the output of a high-end Pre into my PC?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

With that being said, are there any decent firewire-based preamps out there? Or USB? I think USB might acutally be better.

FireWire is better by a mile....

If you're talking about hooking up via USB or FireWire, though, you aren't buying a preamp. You're buying an interface that happens to have preamps built in. Usually, they're the $1 or less per channel variety. That's not necessarily bad if the circuit was designed well, but they don't qualify as high end pres.

High end pres have line level outputs (or maybe... maybe S/PDIF outputs) to plug into your existing interface.

ive had ZERO problems with my satellite...maybe its time for an upgrade to your pc? Before dissing any product...you should post your system specs. :rolleyes:
I run mine in a portable situation,a laptop w/ 1gb ram 1.6 amd and not one flaw.

thanks for the response. I tend to agree with the preamp comment. I have that UX2 now and I wouldn't ever use the mic pre's for vocals.

SO HERE is a new conceptual signal path for Vocals/Acoustic:

Shure KSM27 > PreSonus Eureka Pro > M-Audio FireWire 1814 > Laptop

Any comments on that setup? I already have the KSM27 and dont really want to fork out for a new mic right now...

Thanks for looking :o

Hey Mark,
I was just re-iterating an opinion that's out there. I'm sure if I didn't have any problem with it I would love it cuz you get the ONYX Pre's...

System is very comparible to yours... maybe I could reduce the sample rate. I'll hook it up again today and give it another shot. Thanks!

Shure KSM27 > PreSonus Eureka Pro > M-Audio FireWire 1814 > Laptop

Do you own the FW1814 already? If not, I could give you a pretty long list of reasons not to pick that one. IMHO, there are a lot of much better devices for not a lot more money.

I have no opinion on the Eureka Pro.

which ones?

Do you own the FW1814 already? If not, I could give you a pretty long list of reasons not to pick that one. IMHO, there are a lot of much better devices for not a lot more money.

I have no opinion on the Eureka Pro.

The list is... ? :)

The list is... ? :)

1. S/PDIF ports only work if it's the only device on the FireWire bus. That's input and output, so you can't even get another device to lock to its clock unless you fool the M-Audio device by sticking it on a separate FireWire card so it thinks it is the only device in the world.... I suspect this is a driver bug related to isoch reservations, but I don't have time to debug their drivers for them....
2. Their Mac drivers broke for me on almost every software update during 10.3 and the first part of 10.4 until I finally gave up and rolled back to a version prior to when they added Pro Tools support. Those versions kept working from then on, and I haven't touched them, but I haven't used it in a while, so it might be broken again by now, not sure. :D
3. The hardware is too big to fit on a rack shelf by about a quarter inch.
4. Their drivers really suck. Because they feel the need to keep supporting 10.2 (why!?!), and because they don't know what they're doing, instead of writing a legitimate I/O Kit driver with the old 10.2 version at the top level and newer versions for usable revs of Mac OS X in a sub-bundle with different version dependencies, they instead chose to do this crude hack using a startup item with a shell script that loads the right driver on the right version of the OS. This means:
a. Their driver isn't fully hot-pluggable. You have to reboot for the device to show up correctly if it isn't plugged in and turned on when you boot.
b. Apple's driver does match and mostly works (with recent firmware), so the only way you know that you're using the wrong driver is that you can't adjust any of the device settings except for clock rate. Oh, and you also notice because the device suddenly works better than it did with M-Audio's drivers....
c. They leave this daemon running in the background to unload and reload if the device goes away and comes back, so you're wasting CPU resources.
5. Did I mention the driver sucks? Weird glitches where it plays the same chunk of audio over and over again, halfway freezing the machine while it does, dropouts, kernel panics, etc. seem to plague this driver. Once you find a version that works, I just recommend never upgrading your OS again. It's that bad.
6. Did I mention the driver sucks? I'm pretty sure the CPU utilization is higher for this than for both my 8Pre interfaces put together.
7. Then, there's the hardware. It's as expensive as a MOTU 8Pre but has six fewer pres (which IMHO don't sound as good), can only do 48 kHz ADAT (or 96 kHz with half as many channels) instead of 96 kHz, and really doesn't play well with any other interfaces.
8. I also found its ability to lock to an S/PDIF signal was pretty dicey. It worked most of the time, but it seemed to be pickier about the quality of the signal than other gear.

If you need more reasons, I can probably think of a few more, but those were the most obvious ones. The only plus side is that it has two more audio outputs than the 8Pre. If that's important, though, I'd point you towards the MOTU Ultralight. It's basically MOTU's answer to the FW1814, minus the optical, but with more outputs, much better on-device metering, independent phantom power control, built-in pads... basically the sort of niceties I've come to expect from MOTU's hardware. :)

Back