Those who use a MXL 67g, How do i get the best sound results?

jingsta215

I have a ART Dual amp usb interface.
and i have a Nady shockmount with a metal pop filter
I use Cool Edit pro 2.0 to edit my vocals and record, however the results of sounds arent so good after its been edited. i can hear alot of SSSS hissing and stuff. I bought a non usb mic to have a good sound in my voice.. Anyone know the problem?

THanks!

my money is with the Art Im afraid...I had the project and thought it was great on guitars and bass..not quite good/quiet enough for vocals...

I have a 67g..but I prefer a dynamic for vocals myself...cant say Ive experience any hiss with it though..are you compressing the vocals or is this with just the raw recording?

Oh worth repeating just in case you think youve possibly made a poor purchase...its not the mic ;)

I can hear it more when i Compress them. I'm thinking its ART too because it makes strange noises when I record with the mic sitting IDLE. When i played the wav, it sounded like a weird signal, a mini flat line sound, but somehow i managed to fix that.

OK for one compressing brings up the noise floor...so gentley does it...also try sticking a gate on it...adjust the threshold until the noise goes and fanny about* with the release attack times that should do it

*technical term

Heres the Audio interface I'm using
Amazon.com: ART USB Dual Pre 2 Channel Preamp: Musical Instruments

Product Features
USB connectivity to desktop and laptop computers
Low noise, fully balanced XLR and 1/4" TRS Combi inputs
Up to 48dB of clean gain
Built-in low noise phantom power supply
Latency-free monitoring mix and level controls

The USB Dual Pre is designed to work over a wide variety of applications from remote field recording to desktop/studio tracking. Each of the two low noise input channels has up to 48dB of clean gain. Inputs can be either XLR balanced or 1/4-inch TRS. Each of the 1/4-inch TRS outputs is buffered low impedance balanced. The USB Dual Pre can be externally powered from the mains via a supplied 12 Volt DC adapter, or from an internal 9 Volt battery, or from the USB bus itself, or any combination of these power sources. When running off of the battery alone, you should get in excess of 50 hours of operation when phantom power is off. Battery life drops to around 20 hours (depending on microphone) when phantom powering from the battery alone (still enough time to get through a session). The built-in low noise +48 Volt phantom power supply allows you to power up to 2 microphones as well as the preamplifier when running from any power sources including the USB bus. For monitoring, an 1/8-inch TRS mini headphone jack with level and monitor mix controls on the rear allow for latency-free local monitoring of the inputs while recording as well as playback monitoring of the USB bus. The monitor mix is also routed to the 1/4-inch TRS balanced outputs. This lets you use the 1/4-inch outputs as either a preamplifier out or as the monitor feed to your powered monitors. The USB interface is fully compliant with the USB 1.1 specification and uses USB adaptive mode for playback and USB asynchronous mode for record. It will work with the USB audio device drivers built into Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP/Vista and Apple OS9.1/OSX computers with native USB support. No special drivers are needed.

and?

its still a very low end pre-amp....especially for two channels

the project I used was slightly better quality, $50 more expensive for only one channel and I still only used it as a guitar DI to start out with

also you need to use decent xlr cables as well...this will add to noise

Okay, and i would only need 1 right? i bought two of those and I only using one right now. Reason why i bought two is because Somone said they have two cables and a interface so i was confused lol

it does seem a bit cheap for a cable lol

try a decent quality xlr cable before you buy/replace anything else...ive got an assortment of cheap cables lying about and theyre all noisy as hell...

Do you have a recommended xlr cable that I can probably try using?

i have some hosa cables that are much cheaper and they seem decent..though i only use them on equipment

OK for one compressing brings up the noise floor...so gentley does it...also try sticking a gate on it...adjust the threshold until the noise goes and fanny about* with the release attack times that should do it

*technical term

fanny about :D

Do this, OP.

Double check your gain structure. and everything else throughout the processing of that track.

Seems as though you may have something running a wee bit hot. ;)

After reading a bunch of threads where "Pre Amp" comes up, I believe that if you dont spend $400+ for a good quality pre amp for "Vocals", your going to get some hiss or muffled frequencies.

Mike

break this to you, but the 'hissing', aka siblance, is you. Some people have this problem more than others. I'm one of them. There are a number of tricks you can try to minimize this. One is singing slightly off-axis to the mic. Dynamic mics in general are somewhat less prone to accentuating this as well. You can also use a de-esser, either as an outboard piece of equipment, or as a plug-in in your software.

The bbs is acting flakey, and cutting off part of my posts!

Anyway, while it's true that each piece of your chain could stand upgrading, the 'hissing' is not your pre, or your cables, or your mic. It's you. Your mic, and mic placement, is merely egaggerating what's there.

Do a search for 'siblance'. You'll learn a lot.

I also think you may have unrealistic expectations about how your finished product is going to sound, given your circumstances.

Good luck.

After reading a bunch of threads where "Pre Amp" comes up, I believe that if you dont spend $400+ for a good quality pre amp for "Vocals", your going to get some hiss or muffled frequencies.

Mike

Not true. A high-end pre will, as a rule, sound better, but a less expensive pre does not necessarily give you those problems, unless it's an absolute piece of crap or is defective.

Back