This weekend . . .

TaxMan88

A friend and I are going to be doing some CRUDE recording just for fun (because I don't have my setup yet). We are going to be recording some "mysterious" sounding material so the crudeness I think may add to the song. Aaaah, hell, it probably won't sound good at all, but it'll be recording and it'll satisfy the urge. Anyway, here's what I'll be using.

My Baldwin 6' grand
AKG D 3900 dynamic mic
A couple 57s and 58s
NO PREAMP!
Guitars, basses, amps, etc.

We will be going directly into the IN on my crappy Soundblaster sound card using Voyetra Digital Orchestrator Plus (All I could get my hands on at a minute's notice) as the program. As you can see it's a less than ideal setup. In fact it's crappy. Also, you can see that all I have at my disposal are dynamic mics.

If anyone has tips on micing a grand piano with only ONE DYNAMIC mic, let me know. Any tips at all would be appreciated. Remember also that I'm NOT using a preamp and I only have one IN on my sound card. :( I'd like to get all I can (though I know it won't be much) out of what I've got.

Help me out if you can.
--Tax :D

Borrow or rent a small mixer that has preamps, it'll improve your recording immensely!

I know.

I know a mixer with preamps would make things MUCH better, but I don't have that luxury (even of someone to borrow from.) And another thing . . . .why not take the challenge and try to get something decent out of what I've got?? It'll be fun. I was just looking for some tips to optimize my CURRENT situation.

Back