This was my letter to God

Beautiful song and playing.

Maybe turn up the vox 2db, you've got a nice voice, wouldn't hurt.

Drum machine is a little distracting, maybe try a softer drum sound.

Now I play again.

Very nice.

GT

Very nice song. I will agree about the drum machine. This song is crying for some natural percussion. There are a couple spots where the ride cymbal is too loud.

I like the feel of this one. Some nice vocal backups in there.

I think the "letter to God" concept is a great idea. Jamal had a song with a similar idea while back.

Overproduced? Nah. For the most part I thought it sounded real nice.

I liked the harmonies, but the vocals are probably the spot that needs the most work. How about double tracking (as long as we're into a big production why stop huh?). A little heavier reverb maybe? Just thoughts.

The piano part gets a little repetitive. Sounds nice and in general a good part. To me there needs to be a changeup in the basic part somewhere.

The bass isn't too bad. I liked it for the most part.

Something strange at :51. Ok I'm hearing it 3 or 4 more times. Not sure what it is.

Nice one.

GT - Thx GT! I'm playing around with a slower version of this song now, a little more easy on the ears.

jake-owa - Thx for the comments. Drum comments noted.

TripleM - Yeah, don't know if I liked the vocal or not. I really don't like to double track vocals although I did it for a song I recently did. I really have a hard time with levels and that just makes it worse for me. I did change the piano part a little bit but it does mainly continue throughout you're right. I just really like the riff I guess.

I really wanted to continue with the letter to God theme but got sidetracked....would be nice to really come up with some fitting lyrics for God though....thx for listening.

Hey Lynx -- Good song here. I always dig your vocals on your tunes. You have a great delivery!

I'm listening on head-phones. Great playing...especially the piano. I guess the weak-link here may be the drums...I think the patterns are fine, but the drum-machine kind of takes away from the naturalness (if that is a word) of the piece.

Excellent song. Some excellent changes throughout and excellent writing. Very nice arranging as well!

:D

Yeah, ditto on the drum machine. In the vein of offering something constructive though, I'd say if you're forced (as many of us are) to use fake drums, you could still do a lot better than what you've got here.

I could hear something a little more overtly synthetic, yet still tasteful. Kind of along the lines of the way Bruce Hornsby used drum machines in the 80s.

And yeah, turn up the vox a tad.

Nice feel to this one. I like it.

Chris

You might be able to EQ the drums and get them a little more beafy at least? Anyway, Nice keyboard work. I like your vocals and they could come up some more. What effects do you use? Im struggling with my vocal sound lately and trying some new effects. The organ sound could come down in the mix and the piano up. I dont think the song is overproduced. Good song.
I liked the lyrics.
Myx

boydrj - Thx as always, can't wait to hear your concept album in full flight, love the first track.

groucho - Thx for listening groucho. Truth is, I HATE drum machines but like you said sometimes it's all you got. I at least tried to break up the pattern here, ah forget it, it's going acoustic from here on out.

Myx62 - Thx Myx. Funny you mention the organ sound, it was the last thing I raised before I did a final mix, that was difficult to make it sit right. Hear you on the vox.

Really nice tune - hits close to home for me

Yeah, man, the lyrics hit me right off the bat. You've said some pretty nice things with those lyrics - provocative.

Defintiely not over-produced - lots of tonal and rhythmic variables happening. I like that - keeps me interested and focused. Nice keyboard work. Nice voice, too - I'd turn that up a tad - it's a really good singing voice. Drums - well - whataya gonna do? I got the same problem.
Very nice music!!
Milan

Hey Lynx, What a cool song. Solid vocals and well mixed harmonies. The music flows nicely and serves the vocals.
Your style is refreshing to hear these days.

lynx,

The song doesn't sound over produced but there is definitely a honk in the mid range that is noticeable to me on my speakers.

It sounds like something around the 4Khz range.

Play with the over-all eq with some fresh ears and see if you can get it to smooth out a bit.

Otherwise, its a good song but, a little repetitive.

I liked the lyrics and over all feel of what you were trying to put across.

Cheers! :)

Great piano ride! Mostly liked the pad. I also mostly liked the drums, though there were spots (handclaps! ugh!) where I didn't, or whre levels were a problem.

I thought you did a good job of keeping it from being repetitive by varying the bass (liked the New Years Day quote), but that also detracted from the forward motion some. Vox were great, and I liked the odd samples (voice at the beginning, and something weird in the middle - tape rewind, maybe?).

This grew on me - first listen I was really picking it apart, but I just kinda let flow over me the next two times - much better.

Great job with the layers - that's hard to do and keep it from being mushy. What keys did you use? Reminds me of the old KT-88 I used to play at my old church.

Oh - that little Jerry Lee piano smear didn't really fit.

Still, a really enjoyable Sunday morning listen. Thanks for sharing it.:cool:

MC Gitarz - Thx for the comments about the lyrics. I like them because they can mean different things at different times. Drums, hear you.

reaper sg - Thx for the commentsa and nice compliment, glad you enjoyed it.

Ghost - Thx, I will work with it, I have a few suggestions. The end seems a bar too long for me as well now, gonna be hard to take out without retracking.

dafduc - Thx for listening, I'm glad you mentioned that tape rewind, that's my favorite part! That voice at the beginning is Sidney Poitier, a fine actor and man.

Nice tune man....

Very very good lyrics and vox melody...
The vox seems to sit a little low in the mix...
The drums could improve for sure although I liked the conga.......
(sorry...I just had to mention it again....)
Very dynamic piece of music...and again...exceptional lyrics man...
Cool tunage..
Joe

Yes I liked this all in all. The drum track snare wasn't my favorite thing and I thought the vocals should be up more but this is maybe the way you wanted them for effect.

joro - Thx for the comments

elephant - Not really how I wanted it but I did the best that I could do (for now). Still learning.

Anyways, I usually don't do this but here are the lyrics:

We'd Like To Know

As we all get a little older, there are things that we'd all like to know
Like...Is where I am where I'm really supposed to be?...sometimes I think I should just go...
With so many questions unanswered, and so much pain exposed
And who am I to understand it all? With these thoughts and feelings that overflow

Turns out I just don't know

There are friends that I have forgotten, you know I can still hear them sometimes
And we really don't see each other anymore, I think it's time...

As we all get a litle older, there are still things we'd all like to know
Like...Why are we all chosen to stick around when so many others have to go?

There are things that I can remember, and there are things that bring some shame
But I just know if I move my mind around, I think we can share the blame

And there are others who feel the same...

Interesting. Sort of an 80's sound (depeche mode meets Bruce Hornsby? :) ), but has some other influences as well. I like that. I like the song, the playing, the progression, the beat and your singing.

Sonically, I think this is worse than some of your other songs. I cannot pinpoint the problem. I think the main vocal sounds a little wrong EQ wise or maybe the tracking/mic. A real bass would help the bottom. It does not sound smooth. The drum sounds as others mentioned lack, but I like the programming. The backup vccals sound very nice, maybe too loud and panned too far (preference).

I am not helping here much, but I might like to hear this stripped down with less effects and EQ, then start back into it again.

Nice toon once again. You have a cool style.

Hey Lynxy,
Nice tune here man. ...and VERY nice writing. ...interesting arrangement. Opening up the song parts by dropping out of the piano loop a little more might add a hook or two... ....just thinking out loud. Im listening on the puter here at work, so take that for what its worth.... ....The vocs were a little low-mid heavy here. ...like cutting a little down there might add clarity. ....Im not sure of that from here though.

I totally dig the big production. I like your choices for the different sounds too. ....Very dramatic, and complimenting.

Cool tune bro!

Hey deah lynx,

I could filter it out and focus on the musical idea but i can see what people are saying about the drum machine being somewhat distracting. The melodic ideas developed are very good, you have a nice voice. Good work on the keys.

Back