This needs to happen

freeztar

I have been thinking of a great (IMHO) idea that could help us all. Maybe it is already out there, but what if there was a site where musicians could meet and exchange tracks to create a song. By this I mean that a drummer in Oakland could meet (online) a guitar player from Manhatten and they could make a song together. I'm thinking "real time" here, A virtual jamfest. People could connect and jam with whoever suits their style. Is there something like this already? If so, where? If not, well, I've got a golden idea that needs some fire. How great would it be to connect to a site and start jamming with people across the globe?! I know that the technology is a bit lacking right now, but with the way things are going...
Any inputs/ideas?

Yes it's not a bad idea. But I think already exists something like this, but I'm not sure.

It could be a good thing to have online musicians too (not to work together). I play keyboard for you and you play drums for me... :)

I've searched some time ago for something like this. I was in need of a female opera singer.

Mmmm... I really like both!

This could be done here at HR BBS. A special area where people posts their request/offers.

Who is the Super Mega Boss of HR BBS? :confused:

MaxB

When we're multitracking, we look for latencies below 10ms.
But it takes roughly 70ms for light to get from one point on earth to the opposite side. So that's 70 plus the latency caused by the network and the used computer plus soundcards.
And since jamming is about interacting, you'd basically have to double the figures. And now I'm only talking about two people jamming.
Even if you hook up with someone closer, I think the latencies will end up to be unworkable. You just can't go faster than light so I don't see it happen, ever.

I've thought about this before to. A real time virtual jam couldn't due to the latency issue as stated. What if, though, someone had a large capacity server were you could post project files and request someone to add a bass line, etc. That would be interesting no doubt.

There are some programs to do that live but the latency and bandwidth makes it pretty crappy for anything useable. Radio and TV stations have been doing similar stuff with ISDN lines for years and the quality isn't bad.

If you just want to collaborate go to the MP3 forum. People collaborate on stuff there all the time. Just watch out for that Chris Harris guy.

christiaan said:
You just can't go faster than light so I don't see it happen, ever. [/B]

Tsk! Tsk!
"Ever" is a strong word, considering quantum physics and all. :)
I understand the latency issue, it's a bummer. But I think the idea is still usable, just not as real-time jamming. A chat board would be perfect. People could start various forums like "Need a drummer for techno song" or "Looking for a Slash guitar lead for my hard rock song". People could jump in, download the song-in-the-works, and upload their contribution. Of course then you have the problem of royalties :)

Back