This might just be a computer question....

cb56

When my computer goes into sleep (power save) mode after several minutes of non use, my audio interface (connected by USB cable) shuts off. I'm ok with that but when my computer wakes back up the audio interface stays off. The only way I know to re start it is to unplug it then plug it back in. I'm kinda worried about shorting something out with all the unplugging and replugging.
Is there a way to get my computer to turn the interface back on when it wakes up?

How about you stop your computer from going to sleep in the first place? Problem solved...

Easy enough to change power modes if you want it to be tired and sleepy in general use, but if it's just a recording PC, then turn the sleep function off. Bugger the electricity bill, this is art we're dealing with... :D

Unlike Firewire you shouldn't do any damage yanking your USB cable and putting it back in. USB is designed for "hot plugging".

However, Armistice is spot on. The very first things I do to any computer before using it for sound work is to turn off system sounds and turn off power management. If I'm taking a lunch break I can always "sleep" it manually but the last thing I want is to dash off to reset a mic or something and come back to find my computer and interface has dropped out.

If you're on windows, look up how to prevent your USB device from going to sleep for power saving. I could google it for you, but you can google it for you, too.

How about you stop your computer from going to sleep in the first place? Problem solved...

This ^^^^^^ One of the first things I do when setting up a new computer, all screen savers and power savers are gone.

Second thing is I generate a shut up profile for the computer sounds so that the only thing still on is the battery alarm (lap tops). No other sounds at all.

These 2 things can be very distracting / disruptive when recording.

Alan.

Sleep mode is actually a type of shut down. I think the others are correct, go into screen saver mode, turn off the screen, but make sure that is it.

Laptops were originally built (from an OS) for light duty. The shut down/sleep was intended to save battery. Most people use a Laptop like a desktop now, if that is your case, then you should turn off the battery saver mode as you can see, it is just causing problems. Most of the time USB connections do not stay hot in sleep mode, so when it comes back up it doesn't detect a connection.

Ok, thanks for the responses.
It looks like the answer is, "it can't be done so just don't use sleep mode or put it to sleep manually".
Then unplug and plug as needed.

Hey Chili thanks for googling it for me but, I wasn't asking how to not shut down my interface when the computer goes to sleep (I'm ok with it shutting off :thumbs up:) I was asking if the computer could wake up my interface when the computer itself wakes up. I think the answer is no.

I think you're right about the computer not waking up your interface.

However, let me just reiterate that it is a bad idea to have power management switched on when using a computer for audio recording and mixing anyway. Eventually you'll lose something irreplaceable. I strongly suggest you turn off the power management which will eliminate both problems.

Hey Chili thanks for googling it for me but, I wasn't asking how to not shut down my interface when the computer goes to sleep (I'm ok with it shutting off :thumbs up:) I was asking if the computer could wake up my interface when the computer itself wakes up. I think the answer is no.

Okay. Sorry if I misread your question. :)

Okay. Sorry if I misread your question. :)

Actually, I think you read it right, but saw it differently. The question should now be, how do I let my computer go to sleep without shutting down services, such as USB. :rolleyes:

IMO, the best answer is to not let your computer go to sleep (or any part of power savings) ever. Shut the thing off when you are not using it. Problem solved.

Post #2 by Armi already gave the solution to the problem.

Not appro for laptops but desktop machines can be setup such that usb ports do not power down even when the PC is completely shut down (tho' of course still on at the outlet).

This can be handy. We have for instance a usb dumb keyboard powered from this P4 on which I type but is also "Dinn'ed" over to a W7 machine. The noisy P4 can therefore be shut down but the kbd played on the W7.

Yes, kill ALL power management, also Windows sounds, the excrable AC97 soundcard, rig for "best performance" not best appearance and kill wireless adaptors.

Dave.

Back