This is what happens when you cross a piano with a human beat box

Ha ha ha ... It kind of does have that late night in a bar, had a few too many drinks, singing my guts out kind of sound to it, except of course your voice really works well and I like the harmony on there.

Sounds like a good piano demo, maybe something that can be developed into something bigger (ahh, and then the "beat box" kicks in...very nice)

There seemed to be a little bit of harshness in the vocal at the beginning. Not sure if it is the mic or maybe an eq thing, but it wasn't too bad. Just a bit noticeable on my end. Actually, it kind of made a cool dynamic in the song and went along with the hard-plunking piano.

Another great tune, by the way. I dig your stuff!

Can't believe I'm the first to be responding to this. Definitely worth a listen!

:D

gotta say I really liked this one.. I don't like the sound of the vocals but the performance is great.. I wouldn't have thought that was a human beat box if you didn't mention it.. those are great parts!

my main beef is there is nothing for low end so it sounds very cold.. vocals could use a de-esser.. wonder what a bigger drum sound would have been in place of the beatbox.. the beatbox is cool because of the beat and what you played over it.. some fat low end there with a big bass and snare would have been awesome..

great song.

Thx boydrj! Not my best stuff I know and more of an experiment that went slightly astray. Glad you like it though.

B.SABBATH - Yeah it IS a cold tune, that's exactly how I would describe it. There's something missing there, but what?? Ah, I'll figure it out. Ha, I'm listening to your tune as I type this, now there's a full sound. :D BTW, you can sing.

Aw man....I like this a lot. I'm not sure whether it needs that quirky bridge. The piano/vocal parts are wonderful.

The beat/synth part could be improved by using different sounds. The beat needs to be fatter and ugllier, maybe a fancy delay? And hey, you could let Studioviols replace the fake cello.

I like your voice. Nice harmonies in there too (the one "scream at the top of your voice" is terrific. The sound of the mix isn't not quite hifi. Could be exactly what you're looking for, of course. But I think this one deserves better sound.

My hands are itchy. I'd love to work with you on this one, but I've got to finish a couple of other tracks first.

Hey Pedullist, thx for listening and comments. Anytime you want to work on something let me know.

On your NWR site, you hyped this track as the worst song ever written. I think your miles away from that dubious honour.

The song is actually quite nice. The piano playing was very organic as was the main vocal and harmonies.

I would have to agree with the comments about the track not sounding "hi Fi". What was the format you recorded this in? It sounds like a Portastudio level of fidelity but the mixing and depth of the sound suggests it was something else.

I like the song overall. Good stuff! :)

very interesting idea........i kinda like it.....

someone else mentioned it, but the clarity on the beat box stuff is hard to make out........you can tell it's percusion, but you can't really tell it's beat box for sure w/o being told (unless that's what you want)............did you record those parts w/ a condensor? i'd search for a little more clarity in those............good song too man

Thanks FM, I recorded it in stereo but it tends to sound mono on occasion, I really don't know why that is, to me it sounds like the mixdown to mp3. Still learning.

powderfinger - Yeah, the so-called "beat box" was much more defined in the early going. Being a white guy from Canada :), I guess I tried to lose it in the mix a little. By the comments I guess I almost covered it up too much. Maybe I'll do a rap next tune. :D

W/a bit of Elton style... Phantom of the Sunglasses... the mids on
pno sound a bit loudish, and fight the vocs... (think between 500 & 1k)
Panning could improve that issue.

Nice harmonies. Singing's not bad. Cool song... the lead gtr after
1:40 needs a new place to sit, IMO... it & the pno are really duking
it out. Nice synth strings & ooohhhhh chorus. Some clipping at 2:45...
PNO should really be stereo in this arrangement, IMO... a lot going
on here. Cool listen.

C

Good song. Change up iis way cool with the streeo drum singing. This is a fun listen. Nice textures

Singing in the verses could be louder.

I would have dragged the ending out a bit longer, it's a cool riiff. Song ended too soon.

Nice!

participant - Thx, will be trying to have a stereo version of this soon enough - Phantom of the Sunglasses...lol.

Doug H - Hey Doug, thanks a lot! Song ended too soon is always a nice thing to hear. :D

nice production, The vocals sound is a little thin and could be more up front. Maybe tame the piano a little. The piano sounds good but the ambience swell on the bass strings gets dominant over the vocal. I like the rythym pattern on the beat thing but a good kit would sound great playing the same thing. And, let Ped handle the bottom for you on a bass line, it would be thick and rich like a good steak with au jus.

Now I'm hungry :) Never noticed the bass strings overpowering the vocal. Thx for listening Toki.

lynx said:
Now I'm hungry :) Never noticed the bass strings overpowering the vocal. Thx for listening Toki.

Just so you dont take it negatively, and maybe make what I was refering to clearer.
The riff on the bass keys sounds really good , it`s the ambient swell from the envelopes in combination of the sustaining bass strings developing into a pretty powerful wave that takes quite a bit of real estate from the focal point, which is the vocal. Maybe doesn't overpower the vocal entirely but is like a prize bull leaning against a fence. Enjoyed the piece very much.

Hey Toki, I never took it in negative way at all. I'm quite happy to get mixing tips, it's an area in which I struggle.

I read all feedback that I can happen to get and afterwards use the suggestions and play around with the mix, try it in a few places (walkman, ca, etc.). Whatever sounds good to me at the end is the final result. Thanks again!

Doug H said:

I would have dragged the ending out a bit longer, it's a cool riiff. Song ended too soon.

Nice!

Hell Yeah ! You could have beat that ending to death for at least another 60 sec. or so. If you'd just let it drone on till I drifted off to sleep I'd be happy!

Not sure what that meant but it had me rolling and thinking of something. :D

Lately I've been downloading "extended mixes" of 80's tunes, now there is some of the most uncreative stuff you could ever imagine being put on record. Talk about going on and on....

lynx said:
Not sure what that meant but it had me rolling and thinking of something. :D

Lynx, sorry, I just meant that ending bit was very mesmerizing, and had it gone on long enough, you could have really developed it, and it would have put me into a trancelike state.(in a good way):D

Twist

And if that don't work, I've got some rum called Newfoundland Screech that will do just fine. :)

Back