This is strange...

c0r1n

but I thought I would share. I have been recording with my Multimix 16 for almost a year now with mixed results. I was using an old Powerbook when I first got it and was happy with the sound, but it couldn't handle my track count so I moved it to my more powerful XP box. Ever since, I have been unable to recapture the initial sound quality. It's been very frustrating. I was debating buying new overheads or maybe selling the mixer and starting over, when I plugged it into my Macbook Pro today just to screw around with Garage Band. BOOM. The sound was great again! Up to date drivers on both platforms, same settings on the mixer, but the sound quality on the Mac is worlds above. WTF? The PC is a 2.4 Ghz P4 with a gig of RAM, the Mac is a 2 Ghz with a gig of RAM. Could there be that much difference between the drivers? It makes no sense to me, but my ears don't lie. Just an FYI.

c0r1n said:
but I thought I would share. I have been recording with my Multimix 16 for almost a year now with mixed results. I was using an old Powerbook when I first got it and was happy with the sound, but it couldn't handle my track count so I moved it to my more powerful XP box. Ever since, I have been unable to recapture the initial sound quality. It's been very frustrating. I was debating buying new overheads or maybe selling the mixer and starting over, when I plugged it into my Macbook Pro today just to screw around with Garage Band. BOOM. The sound was great again! Up to date drivers on both platforms, same settings on the mixer, but the sound quality on the Mac is worlds above. WTF? The PC is a 2.4 Ghz P4 with a gig of RAM, the Mac is a 2 Ghz with a gig of RAM. Could there be that much difference between the drivers? It makes no sense to me, but my ears don't lie. Just an FYI.

:confused: :confused:

I could be wrong but, I don't think the drivers or the computer has to do anything with the quality of the sound, hopefully an expert will chime in on this matter... :)

Ok, just a shot in the dark, I'm guessing you use a different software platform in XP vs. Mac, right? Cubase vs Logic, something like that? Is it at all possible that the defaullt on one program is 24bit vs 16bit? Or maybe your auto-soundcard setup wants to use lesser drivers on XP. A different sample rate is about the only thing that could account for different sound quality.

mikemorgan said:
Ok, just a shot in the dark, I'm guessing you use a different software platform in XP vs. Mac, right? Cubase vs Logic, something like that? Is it at all possible that the defaullt on one program is 24bit vs 16bit? Or maybe your auto-soundcard setup wants to use lesser drivers on XP. A different sample rate is about the only thing that could account for different sound quality.

That's a possibility ...

I did think of that...

because as I said, I was playing with Garageband on the Macbook. The weird thing, though, is that the GB recordings match up sonically to recordings I made on my older Mac in Cubase SE, while the Windows recordings were made in SE (installed from the same hybrid CD) and sound much worse. It's the same Multimix 16, with all programs set to 24 bit, 44.1. It makes no sense to me, as I said. I don't really care why it's happening, in fact, I just know that it works. :D I just thought I'd share.

Back