this is probly too easy for u midi users!

Spider

Im using cubase to record audio into. I sometimes use midi to sequence in the drums , but ive never actually known how to change the midi data into an audio wave. Ive always gone out of the soundcard through the console and back in , i know it sounds like a big waste of leads but this is the only way ive found to get the midi to mixdown with the rest of the audio. Whenever i use the mixdown or 'create file' options in cubase i end up with just the auio being mixed down. Can anyone please enlighten me as to the correct way of mixing down midi... cheers..
spider

Midi is NOT an audio format - it is simply a series of protocols that pass information form device to device on HOW to play a note, sound, including duration, which note, etc,.... to "record Midi" as you put it, you need to capture the sound source that is being driven by midi, not the midi signal itself....

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

Spider,
I use PGMusic's Powertracks sequencer so im not familiar with CubeBase, but in PT you can record a midi file to audio internally as the midi plays. Bring up the Windows mixer and be sure midi is checked as the source to be recorded, Cubebase should work the same way. Then in Cubebase select an empty track to record, and let it record as it plays back the midi drum track you made. Of course you should uncheck the midi box on the Windows recording mixer when you are done. No cable to the mixer will be needed, I hope this helps...
Mknight

Back