This Is not a Love Song

Timothy Lawler said:
Great song gumblefish. I like the clarity and feel of the rhythm guitar and the way the lead guitar's rounder tone fills in the sonority. Expressive vox. BG vocal's nicely in tune, especially nice up high at 2:05. Main vocal might benefit from a little dynamic control in occasional spots. I listened to the other tunes on the Soundclick page also. Nice work.

Tim

Thanks man, i am still to mix..so im sure i will be compressing at some points. I generally believe in Mic technique and getting the sound right at source and the room sound over after effect. For the backing vox i moved away from the mic quite a bit and sang alot louder. I was thinking back to when Ellington used to record his band around one mic and instruments of prominance may move to the background physically. I am a firm believer in physically moving around the mic to get the impression of distance. Some of my best recordings have been done with one mic or a stereo pair.

Finally got around to this. Man, nice stuff. Very nice acoustic and great vocals. I like the haunting reverb you have on your voice, just enough, not too much. The words flow from verse to verse and verse into chorus beautifully. Good stuff, buddy.

RAMI said:
Finally got around to this. Man, nice stuff. Very nice acoustic and great vocals. I like the haunting reverb you have on your voice, just enough, not too much. The words flow from verse to verse and verse into chorus beautifully. Good stuff, buddy.

Thanks alot man, appreciate it. Alot of the reverb was in the room itself i only added a touch right across the board.

I really like this - good theme, good playing, good melody & good recording BUT with a few words the prounciations strike me as affected. Is it local dialect, regional accent or family variation? Kind of like the way JCMellonhead did twenty in I Need A Lover (Who Won't Drive Me Crazy)
ANYWAY - great work & once I'm used to the pronounciation it won't register as different any longer.

rayc said:
I really like this - good theme, good playing, good melody & good recording BUT with a few words the prounciations strike me as affected. Is it local dialect, regional accent or family variation? Kind of like the way JCMellonhead did twenty in I Need A Lover (Who Won't Drive Me Crazy)
ANYWAY - great work & once I'm used to the pronounciation it won't register as different any longer.

Thanks man. Alot of it is probably a cross over effect between local dialect and pronounciation. I suppose its like when the Beatles sang in a Liverpool accent and people found it odd. For me i find there is a Mid-Atlantic accent that exists. Theres alot of guys i know that sing in very Broad Belfast accents or vaiations. Im Not able to do that simply because of the way i rhyme off words, my Talking voice is obviously more dialect. This Singing voice has been "developing" for a while now. For years i hated my voice, still do in alot of ways, so i used to strain it and force it in a direction, now my singing voice is actually quite close tonally to my Talking voice.

I love accents in singing. I hate it when everyone prounces their "R"s like they're British, even if they're not. Accents and pronounciation give a tune a personal feel. I'd love to hear RayC sound more Aussie in his tunes. It's there sometimes, and I love it.

I'm at work so i can't say too much on the sound quality, it sounds great on my headphones here. Love the song though, the guitars and vocals really sound sweet to me. Very cool man. Hopefully i'll get back on soon to comment more.

Take care

gary

Thanks guys, appreicate it. Im going to upload some more tracks. For all my international brothers out there that probably wont get a copy of the album i will be doing free downloads (limited time only, offers ends at managements discretion..usual terms and conditions, offer excludes Northern ireland)Hey dogman..nice tits! :D

Gumble...Just because you brought up the subject....

What I did with the tunes that are on my CD is make them available for streaming, but not free dowload. On my site, I'm able to do a pay-per-download, so I charge a measley .99 cents for download. That way, I'm not affecting sales of the CD, people aren't obliged to buy the whole CD if they just want certain songs....AND they can still listen them for free on the site all they want. I think that's fair....

Anyway, just an option that might not force you to give away anything you put alot of work into, while at the same time allowing people to enjoy your music for free if they choose to.

Back