Thinking of getting my first electric guitar and amp

mellotron

I'm considering either a Godin LG P90 or a Yamaha Pacifica with either a Crate Palomino V16 (15W) or a Vox AD50VT (50W). The weird thing is that the 50W amp is cheaper. Is it because the Palomino is tube, while the Vox is tube modeling? I'm also considering a Crate V Series amp, though I'd have to order it online instead of going to the guitar shop and trying it out first.

I'm probably going to use it for recording mostly, although I want to get into gigging, now that I'm back in college and am around musicians a lot.

Any advice/experiences you could impart would be great.

I'm considering either a Godin LG P90 or a Yamaha Pacifica with either a Crate Palomino V16 (15W) or a Vox AD50VT (50W). The weird thing is that the 50W amp is cheaper. Is it because the Palomino is tube, while the Vox is tube modeling? I'm also considering a Crate V Series amp, though I'd have to order it online instead of going to the guitar shop and trying it out first. Any advice/experiences you could impart would be great.

Fender Super Champ XD.
Check it out.
I can't get enough of mine, sounds Fantastic. Sure only 15 watts. But mine can keep up with my drummer (who plays hard, I might add). Only $300.
I can get any sound I feel like. Whether it's bluegrass or metal.
Alright, that's all my praise for this little sucker.
If you get it off of MF right now you get two free guitar cables with it as well. Wish I would've gotten that deal.

But there you have my suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm checking out a youtube video of it in action. Sounds really great. I'm also reading up on some reviews of it. Unfortunately, I'm trying to find something I can get used, as I'm strapped for cash. I'm actually planning on trading in a mic and my acoustic guitar in for this.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm checking out a youtube video of it in action. Sounds really great. I'm also reading up on some reviews of it. Unfortunately, I'm trying to find something I can get used, as I'm strapped for cash. I'm actually planning on trading in a mic and my acoustic guitar in for this.

Ahh alright. What kind of music are you interested in playing? Have you checked ebay for the scxd?
I see one for $25 less than MF.:rolleyes:

I would also say go with pacifica + scxd...
But do not forget to try the guitar and amplifier combinations, if they are avaible near...

Yeah, I'm definitely going to check out my local guitar center and try them out and see which one I like better. I think I want to play something along the lines of Radiohead, My Bloody Valentine, or Silversun Pickups. So maybe distortion for the purpose of ethereal tones, not ripping the ears out...though maybe I'll get into that once I get an electric guitar :) I grew up really liking Jimi Hendrix too.

I'm not sure if I really need something as high quality as Seymour Duncan pickups, which are what are on the LG. I'll see what pickups the Pacifica uses.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to check out my local guitar center and try them out and see which one I like better. I think I want to play something along the lines of Radiohead, My Bloody Valentine, or Silversun Pickups. So maybe distortion for the purpose of ethereal tones, not ripping the ears out...though maybe I'll get into that once I get an electric guitar :) I grew up really liking Jimi Hendrix too.

I'm not sure if I really need something as high quality as Seymour Duncan pickups, which are what are on the LG. I'll see what pickups the Pacifica uses.
Radiohead is one of my favorite groups :rolleyes:
But yeah, try it out,
let us know what you figure out.

Well just some thought.
Try some and buy the guitar you like, not because some brand is written on it. But I know that the name written on the guitar may encourage you by the way SD is good , no offense made at it...

and by the way again pacifica may be much cheaper than the godin...

what I say comes again at the point: try the guitars and buy the one that your fingers accept as their own, your ears hear as your voice...

Well here comes my two cents. (and a bit of oft repeated advice here). Try before you buy. I read a lot of positives about the Super Champ. Never played through one. I own Fenders, Marshall and Mesa, Gretch (reallyold) and a couple others. (one I'm not gonna spam) It soundds like you like a lot of the same music I enjoy to listen to and to play. Give the little fender a try. As far as the particular gtr; consider style, as each instrument has a voice but it is the heart of the player that matters. Skills improve with practice, motive comes from above and within. Rant over. Are you gonna be moving the amp around.. car, gigs, trucks, drummer? If so look at the lighter smaller low wattage amps. When I open up my marshall, earplugs and the wall decorations come down. My low wattage Fenders not so much. My Peavey Classic 30 works well (but subject to microphonics) kinda dark but ok. I use it for Harp (harmonica) and gtr. My DRRI sounds cool with my GF's classical, with picku, pretty clean. Great with my hollowbodies adn of course the herd of strats and teles. It sounds like you are looking for versatility. Last words, don't be shy to go try them out, find a reputable dealer and luthier with experience. Be well all.

Yeah, thanks Thurgood for those things to keep in mind. I'd say that the amp would function as a practice amp, recording amp, and performing amp for coffeehouses.

I would also say go with pacifica + scxd...
But do not forget to try the guitar and amplifier combinations, if they are avaible near...

Great combination for a beginner/first rig which allows plenty of room to grow into.

Back