Thinking of buying a Vox AD50VT

Humbucker

I currently have a Fender Super 60 all tube amp and although it's served me well over the 5 years I've had it, it's always been perhaps a little too powerful for bedroom recording. Also, I've noticed it has lost some it's brightness in the last few months, which is probably down to the tubes being on the way out. At first I was gonna replace the tubes but that's gonna be somewhat of a hassle, as well as quite pricey as it needs to have the bias set by a tech etc. So I'm thinking of either selling it or just keeping it incase I play any gigs or whatever in the future, at which point I'll get the tubes replaced etc.

Anyway, I've been researching and I'm really liking the look of the Vox AD50VT. Most people that have one seem to rave about it and the adjustable wattage is very attractive indeed for me. Like I said earlier, my Fender Super 60 has always been a little too powerful for bedroom recording - we live wall-to-wall with our nextdoor neighbours and turning the volume up past 2 almost makes the house shake - it's THAT powerful. It seems the Vox would be ideal for recording, with all the amp models etc and most of all I could get a nice tube-like tone without having to turn it up really loud cos of the adjustable wattage. I use an SM57 to record electric guitars, and occasionally a Studio Projects C1. I just wanted to ask what any of you who own the AD50VT think of it in terms of recording.

To be honest, one of the only things making me undecided about getting it, is it's extremely low price. Hard to believe I can get something so good for just £200 new(around $400). But like I said, people who have it seem to rave about it. Any opinions and thoughts will be much appreciated. :)

I just sold a Marshall AVT50 and bought a Vox AD50VT.

The Vox is a stellar amp and has more versatility (effects) and "tube tone" than the Marshall. I can dial in everything from Fender Twin to Marshall to Mesa Boogie on this thing... awesome!

I really love this amp!! :)

I bought a cloth-covered version of the AD50VT from NorthCoast Music. They're the only ones who sell it without the metal grille here in the USA. You can order it with either a black or brown cloth face. I like the traditional look MUCH better than the stainless grill.

Check it out....

Attachments

• ad50vt-br.jpg
    ad50vt-br.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 142
Any idea why you can only get that grill cover through Northcoast? That's a fine looking amp!

rpe

I bought a cloth-covered version of the AD50VT from NorthCoast Music. They're the only ones who sell it without the metal grille here in the USA. You can order it with either a black or brown cloth face. I like the traditional look MUCH better than the stainless grill.

Check it out....[/QUOTE]

rpe said:
Any idea why you can only get that grill cover through Northcoast? That's a fine looking amp!

rpe

Thanx. :)

I have no idea why they're only offered through NorthCoast, but that was the only place I find one.

I got mine with a black cloth grille and it looks phenomenal. :)

bought an ad120vtx a few months ago b/c it was on sale for $799. Although it set me back a few hundred, I never regretted it. And you're right about recording...it can reproduce some of the amp sounds very convincingly, and it's all I use for recording/gigging. The variable wattage is also great, b/c you can still get that cranked tone for recording without shaking the walls. My vote: get one.

I've been interested in this amp for awhile. The only thing that is holding me back is some of the user reviews I've read on this model (and a few of diffrent wattge) on HC. A number of reviewers reported problems with this amp within a few weeks of purchasing it. That really concerns me. Obviously everyone wants an amp that isn't going to have problems right after purchasing it. I have a Peavey Bandit that I've had for over 5 years and have never had a problem. I use it for home and a small gig once in a while. Also my stepson uses it for his band and I'm quite sure he doesn't treat it as nicely as I do. Anyways, anyone with this amp want to comment on its reliability and anything you may have heard about its reliability?

I'd think twice before buying the valvetronix. last time i check on harmony central, the reviews for reliability were fairly poor. i had the ad60vt...count 'em...3 of them and they all had mechanical issues. i went through three of those amps at guitar center and was gravely dissapointed. the sounds of the amp are very good but craftsmenship is terrible korean crap. i finally ended up coughing up a few extra bucks and went with a rivera. best money i could spend. next up..Dr. Z route 66.
Hope this helps

I've had my AD120VT for 2 years. I have an ATA case for it since I gig all over the U.S.
It's been shipped to at least 24 different cities and I've never had one problem with it.

Ask around at VOXTALKS or BEATGEARCAVERN.

allrics said:
I've had my AD120VT for 2 years. I have an ATA case for it since I gig all over the U.S.
It's been shipped to at least 24 different cities and I've never had one problem with it.

Ask around at VOXTALKS or BEATGEARCAVERN.

24 cities!!!

Now THAT is a testament to it's versatility! :)

Wow, thanks for all the input everyone :) Yeah, I've read through the reviews at Harmony Central too(as I do for everything I think of buying) and noticed a couple of them questioned it's reliability. But you'll usually find at least a couple of these kind of reviews with most amps, particularly the Marshalls around and slightly above the Vox's price range. I'm not gigging at the moment, so it wouldn't be getting lugged around or anything. I just think the for the excellent price, it is worth going for. I'm definetely leaning towards getting one. Again thanks for all your input - much appreciated. :)

I have the AD15, for about 2 weeks. I really like it, but I'm trading it today for the AD30 so I can get the variable wattage output.

One thing I'd ask you is why you want the 50W? The reason I ask is because the AD50 is basically the same amp as the AD15 (and AD30). It's just louder. If you really want something that loud, you might step up to the AD60, because that's where VOX has put in the next level of components. So it's a better amp all around, IMO.

There have DEFINITELY been some QC issues with these amps. I personally know someone who had to take one apart and re-solder some connections after only a few months of use. I've heard of the input jacks falling in as well.

To me, none of that is critical as a)the amp is so inexpensive and sounds great, b)I can fix it myself in most cases and c) Guitar Center has a 30 day return gaurantee for the odd chance that it falls apart after unpacking.

Enjoy!

Back