Thinking of building a home studio? How to start? What to buy?

itike97

Hi everyone,
I'm a new guy around here, but I'd like to record my own music. First I was thinking of buying a digital recorder, for example Korg d 3200 or akai dps24, but then I realized that these are old models, and what if it's something wrong with them, I can't get any parts for them and so on...
So I'd like to set up my computer as a recording studio. So my question is..What kind of soundcard to buy? Or what software/programme do I need to have my computer as a studio? What kind of mics to buy? But my main question is..What kind of soundcard or recording unit should I buy?
I'd also like to record live drums, so I'd like to have a unit with at least 8 xlr inputs.
Thanks in advance,

You need an interface. An interface functions as your soundcard - when you use an interface you don't need to use the build-in soundcard in your computer anymore. I'm not sure how much you want to spend, but the Tascam US-1800 is a great interface and is basically the lowest price point for an interface with 8 XLR inputs.

And what do I need apart from the interface and the mics? what kind of software for computer? which is the best?

You need DAW software. Reaper is well-liked around here. Free to try and only $60 to own. You'd better give us an idea of your computer type and specs too... depending upon its performance level you may need to upgrade some aspects, although most recent computers will be fine, at least to get you going.

Back