Thinking of adding Reason 3.0 to setup - opinions needed

Humbucker

I apologise in advance as this is gonna be a pretty long post, but if you could possibly take the time to read it(Reason, Cubase and T-Racks 24 users in particular) and give me some opinions it would be much appreciated :)

I've had Cubase SL3 for a couple of months now and although I'm very happy with it, there are a few things I feel it lacks for my own personal needs. Of the included VST instruments I only use the LM-7 drum machine, i don't use the synth nor the bass synth - mostly cos I'm a rock guy. In my songs I do like to use string and piano sounds though. Up to now I've used some freeware soundfonts for this purpose. The same goes for effect plugins as I'm not too keen on the included ones. I got Reason Adapted(the slimmed down version) bundled with my Audiophile 192 soundcard and just lately I've started using it in conjuction with Cubase via Rewire - I really like the possibilities available so am curious as to the possibilities the full, new version 3.0 would give me. The perhaps more 'get the creative juices flowing, wide pallette of sounds and samples' nature of Reason really appeals to me.

Around a year ago I purchased T-Racks 24 and apart from using it on a few songs just after buying it(and destroying them with a combination of my inexperience and overusing it :rolleyes: ) it's barely been used and is in excellent condition. I'm considering selling this and upgrading my version of Reason Adapted to the full version at the very reasonable price available. My T-Racks 24 isn't installed on this computer(upgraded to a better PC 5 months ago, is on the old one in a closet) but if I remember correctly, when I installed it on the old one I had to go online and register it with the serial number etc. If I sold it on, would the new owner have any problems as it is registered to me? Or could they register it in their OWN name as a new owner? Here's a perhaps naughty thought too, I could maybe even install it on this computer and sell it on afterwards so I'd still have it. I'm not sure if I'd run into any problems doing this though.

With the current songs I'm working on, all I would use T-Racks 24 for would be 'beefing' them up a little with some minimal use such as upping the volume, tweaking EQ a little and perhaps a tiny amount of compression. I agree with the general consensus about not self-mastering. I've heard Reason 3.0 comes with mastering tools so I'm thinking I could use these for 'beefing' things up, replacing my need for T-Racks altogether. Has anybody with Reason used these tools and what are your opinions on them?

Finally, I would like some opinions on Reason in terms of my own personal recording/creating needs. I've only used the adapted version so obviously I haven't scratched the surface yet. For a rock guy who's stuff is mostly guitar-based would it greatly enhance my recording/creating experience? In particular I would appreciate opinions on the included effect plugins and the sounds/samples available.

Again, sorry for the long and perhaps demanding post - if you've read it all and would be so kind as to offer me some opinions it would be much appreciated indeed. :)

I have Reason 2.5, and I couldn't live without it. I am a rock guy too, and the bass sounds, piano, and drums are just awesome. I love it.

If you're a guitar player, get yourself a Graphtech Ghost system and the Roland GI20.....play Reason from the guitar! Totally cool.

I use Reason with Tracktion, and both are really light on the ole' CPU. It even runs well on my not-so-state-of-the-art Celeron 1.33Ghz with 768MB of RAM. On my Athlon 2500+ desktop, it's amazing.

Polaris20 said:
I have Reason 2.5, and I couldn't live without it. I am a rock guy too, and the bass sounds, piano, and drums are just awesome. I love it.

If you're a guitar player, get yourself a Graphtech Ghost system and the Roland GI20.....play Reason from the guitar! Totally cool.

I use Reason with Tracktion, and both are really light on the ole' CPU. It even runs well on my not-so-state-of-the-art Celeron 1.33Ghz with 768MB of RAM. On my Athlon 2500+ desktop, it's amazing.

Cool man, thanks for your input! :)

Just another Reason lover here :) . I do a lot of rock and metal stuff as well and it's basically where I do all my drum sequencing. I use Reason with Nuendo, and whether I was just tracking a song, doing sound design, dropping a jingle or stinger, I don't think I've ever done a full project without reason involved somehow.

Clit Torres said:
Just another Reason lover here :) . I do a lot of rock and metal stuff as well and it's basically where I do all my drum sequencing. I use Reason with Nuendo, and whether I was just tracking a song, doing sound design, dropping a jingle or stinger, I don't think I've ever done a full project without reason involved somehow.

Cool, thanks :) I hope to get some more opinions on this - again sorry for the mammoth post.

Back