Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Event TR-8

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • M-Audio BX8A

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Samson Rubicons

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters
i'm surprised i'm the first person to say this, but switching up your monitors isn't going to be likely to fix your low-end problems...and switching to a larger woofer will likely make things worse

i'm surprised i'm the first person to say this, but switching up your monitors isn't going to be likely to fix your low-end problems...and switching to a larger woofer will likely make things worse

I agree. I do a lot of bass heavy mixing, and while I do refer to larger speakers here and there for extra reference, my mix almost exclusively on my smaller speakers at low volumes.

it's not to say that larger speakers don't help with the mix...but when you're mixing in an untreated room, where you're already having translation issues with the low end, it seems as though larger woofers will just make things worse

I was thinking about a pair of these, and then checked out some KRKs. Nice, but a bit too hyped in my opinion (I'm using these for my voiceover room).

I took some advice and listened to the Blue Sky stuff. Not bad, but preferred the Yamaha over them. Tried the Adam A7s, but didn't like the quality of them (when they worked, they were great, but two amps died in the process). The Klein and Hummel 0100 was incredible for the size, but was nearly double the price of the Dynaudio BM5A, which more than served my needs (frankly, despite the complaints, I felt that they did a great job handling the bass). The Genelec stuff just seemed a bit too sharp and harsh to me.

All good stuff, but you have to find what works best for you :)

I've actually got the yamaha speakers in question and I've had about a year and a half of mixing on them. Yamaha is fantastic to deal with over the phone concerning parts and warrenty as well. The tweeter went out of mine and it was simply a phone call and 2 weeks later I was rocking again. (The tweeter was completely my fault... Don't ask.)

I find the speakers to be fairly accurate, but really, really 'dry' sounding. The bass end of things is tight. For the money I don't know how you could beat 'em. I'm really happy with them although right around the 5-8khz range it starts to sound thin and a bit artificial (I may not be saying that properly), kind of like you can hear where the woofer stops and the tweeter begins. I find my ears start to suffer from fatigue in about 3 hours, but that's not saying much because at 85 dB SPL my ears are actually distorting so my hearing isn't in the best of shape.

Anyway, good luck. At least you can be confident of excellent corporate support.

Andy

Yamaha HS80 m are great cos they translate.

Hi, i think Yamaha HS80 are great becos when I mix on them, I find it easy to get mixes to translate well on other systems. That's why I like them. Getting mixes to translate is near impossible if your monitors don't suit your ears natural frequencies response. We all have different Ears responses hence different preferences for the best monitor speakers. Finding the right pair of monitors is like getting the right pair of prescription glasses. You'll be mixing blind without them. It's a costly exercise to buy a speaker that everyone rages about only to find that it doesn't suit your ears.

I've found that Even if the speaker sounds great in the store, the only real way to tell which speaker is best for you is to actually mix on them for 1 or 2 songs and C how they translate.

I'm real glad I got given a pair of these Yamaha HS80 M. It's been a real eye/ear opener. I wish they were around 10 years ago. I've been mixing on Krk V88s for over 6 years now and I'm finding that with the Yamaha HS80 M, I'm getting a new dimension to my mixes the I didn't get with on Krk V88's. Night n Day. Very well pleased n excited about them.

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer.
http://www.acoosticzoo.com

Last edited:
It's not how "great" a monitor sounds... some of the best sounding monitors are responsible for some of the crappiest mixes... it's how accurate they are. And there's not a pair of monitors out there that don't need to be "learned". You'll probably be producing better mixes on crappy monitors you know, then great monitors that you don't... at least in the short term, until you learn them...

Oh I've Yamaha's... and love them

Yummy yammies

I have the yamaha hs80s and they are great when it comes to classical music. I just love to hear those kettle drums booming in the mix. I have been reading reviews where people preferred them to Adam A7x's and A8x's and I would have to agree, although I have only heard the A8x's and was very impressed with them, but the soundstage on the yamahas was that bit deeper.
The only criticism I have is that they are a little bit aggressive, but it's so easy to forgive that vice when you close your eyes and listen to the 3D sound and intricate detail... and no ear fatigue!

At ?500 you can't go wrong.

Back