thinking about "PRO-TOOLS"

BLISS

I've been using Cubase VST & Digital Performer, but I'm sliding toward the usage of PRO-TOOLS. As I read this pamphlet, I'm finding it very interesting, they have it for PC & MAC -- I have both, but would probably use my MAC any PROTOOL users in here to elaborate on the usage.

Does it TOP all the others, I mean cause I read: Lenny Kravitz, Ben Burtt (Star Wars)and Clint Black all use it, I mean whole albums,
what's your take on it, I want to know
(before I run out and buy)

Hey there! I actually called Digidesign and got the video for ProTools. It really seems AMAZING and VERY powerful.

I pose the same questions as you though: for "lil ole me" is it worth the 6 grand?(!) Could I be just as well served spending 3 grand on a Vegas Pro setup?

From what I understand, "Livin' La Vida Loca" and Santana's "Smooth" were both recorded entirely in ProTools without so much as an INCH of analog tape.

That said, if you're looking to create a finished product to shop to the "majors", you may want to consider it, since APPEARANCES ARE EVERYTHING in this business. That "recorded/mixed and mastered in ProTools" on your CD sleeve is a status mark for certain.

Frankly, I think I'd rather spend $3000 setting myself up with a "pretty good" digital studio (Vegas Pro etc..) and spending the rest of it on a good engineer or producer for a few days.

I wonder if Matt Serletic is available for a weekend with an unknown.....but he'd probably want a ProTools setup. ;)

Pete

You might want to check out the new "baby" Pro Tools system - the Digi001. It's a hellava lot cheaper than the full blown mix system and is designed for the home studio enviroment.

I come from a PC / Cakewalk background and I swore by it. Now that I've moved to MAC and Pro Tools LE, I will never look back. It is by far the best system I've ever used, and I did a bit of shopping round first.

The midi side is a little clumsy at this time, but it's strength is in the audio recording and editing. It kicks some serious butt. Go to the Digi001.com website and read all about it...

Yeah, I caught the video to the DIGI 001 and it did look great. I still get great music and mix from my set up, and basically it's strong point is in the AUDIO, so I may get it. It's not dire straights to have it, I mean I get good stuff, but I guess the PERCEPTION of having it is, that I'll have the best set up---- in all actuality from what I saw on the video, those guys that played in the band were alright, then they enhanced everything via DIGI 001 ---- so what I got from it is, IF YOUR WACK DIGI 001 CAN MAKE IT PHAT, --- so I'm still deciding, I may get it though -- it's $899 here (whole package thanks fellas

Back