Thinking about buying an MBox

something cool

Well, I've been seriously considering jumping on the ProTools bandwagon lately. Now I'm just trying to decide what would be the best way to do that.

My current setup is a PC running Sonar 3 Studio, M-Audio Delta 1010lt, and a Yamaha MG16/4 mixer. I'm thinking the best way for me to incorporate ProTools is to get an MBox, but also to keep my current setup intact, just in case I need more than the MBox's 2 I/O (i.e. if I wanted to record drums to separate tracks, I could just run them through my mixer and the 1010lt into Sonar, and import to PT later).

I think this would work out okay, right? My roommate has the Digi002r and it's nice but I don't think the extra ~$700 would really be worth it for me when I already have 10 I/O with the 1010lt. Sure, the pres are nicer than the ones in the MG, but I have access to the highest quality pres at school if I'm doing something serious. Plus, I usually track my own stuff one track at a time.

I guess my question is, is there anything that may not work with such a setup? Something I'm overlooking such as device conflicts or anything else I should consider? Is there a better way to do it that I'm not seeing? Also, has anyone had any bad experiences with the MBox that I should be warned about?

Oh, and one last, sort of related, newbish question: does the MBox function like a regular sound card under windows? i.e. Would it be able to handle all my computer's sound needs (windows sounds, iTunes, CD playback, etc.) on its own? I'm guessing it does, but lord knows I've been wrong before...

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

something cool said:
My current setup is a PC running Sonar 3 Studio, M-Audio Delta 1010lt, and a Yamaha MG16/4 mixer. I'm thinking the best way for me to incorporate ProTools is to get an MBox, but also to keep my current setup intact, just in case I need more than the MBox's 2 I/O (i.e. if I wanted to record drums to separate tracks, I could just run them through my mixer and the 1010lt into Sonar, and import to PT later).

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

You already have a decent DAW setup, why would you want Pro Tools LE over what you already have? Now if your were "upgrading" to a TDM system that would be one thing.

if you decide to get it, just make sure you read the compatibility information on the Digi site about what your computer should have and should not have. One wrong thing in the comptuer can make the Mbox a waste of money.
However, everyone I know that has the Mbox says all good about it.

And yes, you'll be able to use the Mbox with other programs in your computer as long as you download (or install off the CD) the ASIO and Wave drivers. I think it might even work with your Sonar....although, I've never tried it.

therage! said:
You already have a decent DAW setup, why would you want Pro Tools LE over what you already have? Now if your were "upgrading" to a TDM system that would be one thing.
Yeah I probably should have addressed this in my initial post. There are a few reasons:

1) I'm going to a school that is almost entirely ProTools-based. It would be helpful to have a PT system at home to work on projects (even without all the sweet Waves plug-ins)

2) I hope to be employed somewhere in the recording industry at some point, and more often than not, you'll encounter PT in the professional realm.

3) Most of my friends who are into recording are running PTLE on their systems, so I'll be able to run my sessions on their systems if the need should arise.

4) I just like the software. Sonar does some things better, PT does other things better. Plus, I think it's always a good idea to be comfortable with more than one piece of software.

Thanks for the info benny, I'll be looking into any possible compatibility issues.

Back