Thinking about a couple additions

taylorguitarman

I have the buying bug again and I'm thinking about a couple new additions to the recording gear. Another mic and another preamp. I'm thinking of upping my signal chain a little bit by getting an RNP. I'm also thinking of getting an NT1-A. The RNP I feel pretty good about but I haven't seen too many comments on the NT1-A. The specs seem really impressive. I'm wondering if anyone has used this mic on acoustic guitars and how they liked it. These will probably be my last purchases before I get non 'budget' gear. I've got my eye on a KSM44 or TLM103 when I save up enough cash.

Current Mic Pre
DMP3

Current Mics
2x SM57
Studio Projects B1 (still waiting for it)
MXL V67G
MXL 603S stereo pair
Audio Technica AT3035
Oktava MK012

Also if anyone knows of any sites with preamp comparisons between the DMP3 and the RNP I'd be interesting in hearing them.

I have an NT-1 and an NT-1A, and I love them both dearly. I find that they perform very well alone, and amazingly when paired together in stereo. You can listen to an unfinished track of mine if you want a sample. I recorded the acoustic and the vocals with the Rodes. It hasn't really been mixed well, so forgive the slappy reverb.

It's at: http://www.poemadept.com/help.htm

song is called "This Hotel Room"

A lot of other tracks among those songs were recorded with the same setup, but I don't remember exactly which. Let me know if you need more and I can figure it out.

Peter

Here's a thread from this bbs--recording acoustic guitar. Be sure to read the whole thing. On page two, after the initial comparison was considered lacking in validity because of mic placement and uneven playing, a new comparison was posted (sorry, the link no longer contains the files). The new recordings were posted as a blind test. The resulting comments and opinions were very interesting, however.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=70422&highlight=rnp+vs+dmp3

Here's another thread where the two were compared as a bass DI.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=72573&highlight=rnp+vs+dmp3

Looking at your current mic locker, I think you'd be better off addressing that area first.

An RNP (or any mic pre upgrade) would be a nice addition to have down the road, I'm sure. But you've got a lot of middle of the road mics right now. Pretty decent or average to below-average, and I think you'd be surprized to hear what a really good mic can do for your recordings. The KSM-44 is a great idea. I say sell off your two least favorites out of the B1, 3035 and v67 -- or just sell all of them -- in order to fund the purchase if you have to.

chessrock said:
The KSM-44 is a great idea. I say sell off your two least favorites out of the B1, 3035 and v67 -- or just sell all of them -- in order to fund the purchase if you have to.

Without having personal experience with the listed mics, I know they have all garnered the "very usable" budget mic label--all excellent choices. But I really, really like Chessrock's advice. I'd rather have one KSM-44 than a half-dozen of those mics. In fact, I like Chess's advice so much I may be taking it myself soon.:D

Back