Think this would come under Funk

Slouching Raymond

So, I haven't recorded anything in a while.
Got out my telecaster, switch in middle position, into Line6 Flextone 3, 'Line6 Clean' model, with a touch of chorus.
Also using the wah pedal of the Line6 shortboard.
The plan was not to play against a straightjacket drum machine track, but to keep the guitar in time by dead-reckoning.
There was no composition, just tried to wing it.
I had to keep the guitar going for a few mins, which took 3 attempts, and the timing varied here and there.
Then it was off to my drum room to try to add a live drum track.
I didn't expect much, and that the drum timing would be all over the place.
After the first drum take, I went back and listened to it on the studio monitors.
It was not as bad as I expected.
There was no real mixing, just set the faders about right, and leave it about that.
The wav fie is destined for my website, but here is the smaller mp3.

Attachments

• five-sixteen.mp3
    4.8 MB
I would probably do it backwards from what you did. I almost need to have a drum track to play with. I can't play a lick of drums, so as my timing changes, there's no way I'll ever get things together with a nice steady drum track.

So, I haven't recorded anything in a while.
Got out my telecaster, switch in middle position, into Line6 Flextone 3, 'Line6 Clean' model, with a touch of chorus.
Also using the wah pedal of the Line6 shortboard.
The plan was not to play against a straightjacket drum machine track, but to keep the guitar in time by dead-reckoning.
There was no composition, just tried to wing it.
I had to keep the guitar going for a few mins, which took 3 attempts, and the timing varied here and there.
Then it was off to my drum room to try to add a live drum track.
I didn't expect much, and that the drum timing would be all over the place.
After the first drum take, I went back and listened to it on the studio monitors.
It was not as bad as I expected.
There was no real mixing, just set the faders about right, and leave it about that.
The wav fie is destined for my website, but here is the smaller mp3.
It's pretty quiet - just for fun it's alright - what is it for?

Thanks for listening.
Rich, I've tried drums first, and drums last, but am still experimenting pros and cons. There's only two instruments here, but I have an idea to try with more instruments.
That is to record in sections, giving each instrument a chance to take the lead, and alter the timing, with the other instruments responding to it.

Papanate, Yes it was a bit quiet, but I thought just about ok. I put it here, because it doesn't belong in the 'mix' section. I'm trying to develop styles for my solo band, as they develop. Their musical progress is documented on my website, and it is just for fun. It is like a do-it-yourself Spinal Tap.
I thought about adding more instruments, but didn't want to end up with mud.

I really like it. I think this is a combination of both funk and jam (improvisational style of music) Really enjoyed it...great jam!

Back