Things would be much easier if they were this way:

ino

drums should have a knob to tune them in the note you whish, and the screws would automatically turn to achieve that necessary pressure.
China cymbals sould have a volume knob to turn that shit down and stop infesting the mix!!! (you can tell the drummer to play it more gently, but "it produces a different sound", and you know that, but don't wanna admit it.
Acoustic Guitars should have a compressor and a volume control for each string, so you can finally get the guitar to sound even!!!
Guitar amps should have a knob from "bad sound" to "excellent sound", and a pedal to switch between clean and dist, no other tuning, EQing required.
guitars near the volume control, there could be a new/old string control, and a tune control, you just spin it around 440, and have precise tuning for each string in 5 seconds!!!

Things would be much easier and a lot lot more boring, and monotonous. So BE GLAD THAT THINGS ARENT THAT WAY and you can spend all your recording afternoon and evening trying to get that fu*k*ng distortion, and going to bed without recording a single bit of the mix, LIKE ME !!!

Just wait for a year or two you will get all of them in market, the only catch is you will end up paying 20 times the price of the regular instrument. Write these ideas to companies like Yamaha or Roland, may be they would reward you for these great ideas :) ;)

ino said:
drums should have a knob to tune them in the note you whish, and the screws would automatically turn to achieve that necessary pressure.
China cymbals sould have a volume knob to turn that shit down and stop infesting the mix!!! (you can tell the drummer to play it more gently, but "it produces a different sound", and you know that, but don't wanna admit it.

Drums are getting "somewhat" closer to that with the Arbiter brand. A single tuning lug per head. They have gotten pretty good reviews as far as ease of use.

For china cymbals, the only brand on a recording kit should be Wuhan.

ino said:
guitars near the volume control, there could be a new/old string control, and a tune control, you just spin it around 440, and have precise tuning for each string in 5 seconds!!!

[/B]

there is a guitar, or at least a custom electronic bridge (not sure of the details) that tunes each string automatically to within 5 cents. it also has a selector-computer type thing where you can change your tuning (say, from standard to drop d to half-step down) just by pushing a button.

Things would be much easier if............

Hi-end gear like Neumann,SSL,Neve etc was PRICED at the same level as Nady,Radio Whack & Behringer gear.

i was pretty sure that there was this magical "pedal" to switch from clean to distortion. maybe i was just imagining it though..........

if we had all these things all the fun would be taken out of it. appreciate the process. or do what i do, and when taking on a band to record, watch them practice, and assess these 2 things:

1.) how much you're going to make them pay you to sit through their session (this isn't always true, a lot of bands are a joy to record, unfortunately, very few of them will record in my basement/bedroom).

2.) whether you are even willing to have this band come to your studio and learn how to play power chords in your prescence, on their squier strat, through a crate gfx practice amp. or have the drummer on his cb kit with tin foil cymbals be SO GOOD that he actually plays every song in 5/4, despite the fact the band plays in 4/4. the next math rock legend, before your very eyes.

i have no set rate for recording bands. its all determined at this very helpful assessment.

Back