Thin guitar

GuitarTricks

... not to mention 'picky' sounding and weak.
I've spent like a week doing this cover tune in Cubase VST then went to add the lead guitar and no matter what I do it sucks the big bean.

(This take is with reverb, playing hard and with a very quiet doubled guitar in the background...)

I've tried at least 15 takes and nothing works...
ie, recording really hot and playing softly, doubling up the lead, different guitars, no reverb, more reverb...

So is it just that this particular tune doesn't lend itself to a guitar lead or is there some secret I'm missing out on?

I agree with you. Sounds like you are doing a good job on the song though. Guitar sounds Direct as heck to me. I would recommend an amp modeler. POD, J-Station, V-Amp, Etc. Direct to PC? Fill in the blanks...

Cheers,

Fangar

Actually yeah it is direct. There's an amp modeler in the effects loop but I got a feeling it wasn't on that patch. Basically the sense I'm getting is it needs a hell of a lot more feel or soul or whatever it's called... more ooomph..more style...something that makes ya notice the guitar.
The comment about elevator music was right on the money... that's exactly what I was thinking as I was playing it.
...it was like the 15th time and I was getting sick to death of it. I think what I need to do is use a better sounding patch with a little less reverb, and put more energy into the playing... noodle around a bit more, or just get more pumped up before recording it so I don't sound half asleep.
...have to wait till tomorrow tho...
if I hear that song one more time today I'm gonna scream :)
Thanks for all the help...this place is great for bouncing ideas around when yer stuck in an 8 x 12 room by yourself.

GuitarTricks said:
...it was like the 15th time and I was getting sick to death of it. I think what I need to do is use a better sounding patch with a little less reverb, and put more energy into the playing... noodle around a bit more, or just get more pumped up before recording it so I don't sound half asleep.

Your playing is just fine. Try using a real amplifier and mic the guitar using a compressor and recording it as hot as you can without clipping. That will fatten up your sound big time. Don't leave us cold now after you do it, I'd like to have a copy of it redone!

> Don't leave us cold now after you do it,
> I'd like to have a copy of it redone!

heh... thanks!
... good thing ya said that... I'm running low on HD space so I came this close to erasing the whole thing thing this morning to free up a GB for another song.

This is the redo from a few hours ago.
As far as using an amp is concerned it's basically a no go... I'd love to use one, but with my neighbors there isn't a chance in hell. I have to mix and monitor everything through a pair of headphones or the cops show up at the door.

I think it still needs re-doing again. I distinctly hear a bunch of errors in my playing all the way through it, but who knows... it's like hearing your own voice on a tape recorder... it sounds fine when you play it, others say it's fine, but when you listen back it makes ya cringe.

Any comments welcome... especially stuff like opinions on the guitar, whether it's loud enough, played with too much energy/not enough, how it sounds through an actual pair of real speakers :)

From what I'm hearin' and seeing on my mixer is the lead is a little louder than it should be, and I'm thinking just a bit to much reverb, not much though. It's cool though, good job.

Though the lead sounds better, It sounds too direct still. I think the major problem is that it sounds like it is Clipping. May that be the case? The rhythm guitar sounds much better for some reason, probably because you are playing it softer. Hmmm. Get a Modeler. Or mic up the amp.

Fangar

heh..after finding out how much it costs to get the licensing to upload cover tunes on the web, I don't think I'm gonna be recording cover tunes again anytime soon. Actually, I'm gonna go free up some HD space and dump this thing in the trash before I get sued for posting it here...

Thanks for the help tho... it's served as a good testing ground for future stuff. I've learned fer sure I've gotta intonate and setup my guitar before recording and even then, after years of road abuse, none of my guitars is in good enough shape to record anything other than overdriven rock...
Also learned that even though you have 48 or more tracks to play around with, it doesn't mean you actually get to use em. With the system limitations 128mb ram, 266 etc... as soon as I use just one effect like reverb, the whole thing shuts down. ie, I've gotta do way more planning ahead of time and go back to my old ways of bouncing/splicing tracks instead of just freely going nuts.

Most of all tho, I learned not to do anymore cover tunes... this is the message I got from the Canadian version of Harry Fox Agency.

Thank you for posting a question to the CMRRA web site
(http://www.cmrra.ca).

The reproduction of songs onto a web site is, at best, a difficult
proposition to license. The reason for this is that no standard license
exists for this type of reproduction, and any requests must be negotiated
with the publishers on a case-by-case basis. Where the copyright in a song
may be split among more than one owner, as is common, then you are required
to obtain licenses from all owners in order to use the song.

Another issue to be considered is the format of the reproduction: do you
intend to post the files for streaming purposes only, or will they be
available in a downloadable format? Is the format encrypted? Currently,
CMRRA has no mandate from its publisher members to issue licenses for
unencrypted versions of their works. From every discussion that I have had
with our clients, they have no interest in allowing this type of use to be
licensed, for a number of reasons. At present, the focus of rightsholders
within the music industry is on the development of secure, encrypted
environments in which their songs can be distributed, and the methods by
which these can be licensed.

For streamed files, a license fee can cost anywhere from $200 and up, with
stipulations as to the length of time the song is available for the use,
the playing time of the song, and limitations on other content that may
appear in conjunction with the song. From my experience, any amount below
this simply isn't a viable proposition considering the amount of
administration that is required to process the license and royalty payment.
Like everyone else, publishers are very busy and their time is limited, so
issues such as these are, unforunately, not considered priority
initiatives.

I trust that this provides you with enough information in response to your
question.
If you are intent on making an application for the use of a song on a web
site, please email me directly and I will forward you the necessary
application form.

CMRRA Ltd.

...um I don't think so.

Sorry to hear all that you said, doh! I guess that's why I don't have anything published here, I do mostly all covers :) I guess this will motivate you to do some originals now, aye. You've got the raw talent, just put it to use. Oh ya, I was gonna tell ya, regardless of your neighbors, use an amp and mic it. Get their permission, it shouldn't take all that long to record one track?

Back