Thin Client Recording...

Badger

Just started playing with this, and thought I would pass it on...

First of all, for those of you unfamiliar, thin client is where you run an application on one system, and then run the interface on another. This is pretty common in the unix world, but is just now gaining popularity in the PC world. Now, Windows XP has thin client built in. How does that help the home recorder?

Well, for example, say I wanna record myself singing in my vocal booth, but I don't have anyone to run the DAW. It makes setting levels, starting and stopping etc a real bitch. But with XP, I can just load the remote client on any old laptop (as long as it runs windows 95, NT, 2k, etc), and bring up the desktop on my DAW on the screen of my laptop. With a wireless network it is even more convienent, but it can be done over regular wired network as well. I can start and stop sonar, etc, and I don't have to worry about the noise generated by CPU fans, drives whatever.

To go a step further, I could put my DAW machine anywhere in the house, and just run blanaced cables to it. No noise from the computer.

Older laptops and tablet computers are getting cheap as hell on ebay, and most of these will work just fine for this. Since all the processing is done on the xp box, the speed of the laptop is really not that important(within reason). I can carry my laptop anywhere in mystudio and do everything from the laptop screen and keyboard that I could by sitting in front of my hotrod machine.

I posted an article about this a week or two ago. It seems like a cool idea, and now that I get WinXP Pro for free (well not free, it's part of tuition) I can experiment.

It would be nice to not have to worry about fan noise.

Polaris20 said:
I posted an article about this a week or two ago. It seems like a cool idea, and now that I get WinXP Pro for free (well not free, it's part of tuition) I can experiment.

It would be nice to not have to worry about fan noise.

I've been using ti for a couple of weeks now. Works great.

Back