..these Pearl Export things...

fonts

...are they any good?...they are tempting me with the low prices...is there that much of a tonal difference between them and the top-o-the-line?...

For the price Pearl is offering their Export series w/ hardware, it's not a bad deal. I think that it offers a pretty good sound, obviously nowhere near Pearl's Masters series, but your paying for what you get. If you're looking for a kit around the Export's price range, I would highly suggest purchasing the following:

- Tama Rockstar Custom (really good sounding drums)
- Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage
- Pacific CX or LX series
- Mapex M-Series

Again, it's basically personal preference. If you want more for your money, go with the Mapex M-Series. Costs around $900 for a fusion 6-piece w/ hardware. Another thing worth mentioning is that the Pacific CX and LX are both all-maple. For that price, it's well worth the investment. The CX (wrapped finish) runs for $599 shell set while the LX (lacquer finish) goes for $849 shell set. Hope you find something that you'll have for a while!

As far as tonality differences go, most entry level drums have what I would describe as a "thuddy" sound as opposed to a "warm", "open" sound.

This can be great for recording if that is the sound you are going for. The wrapped Pacific's are probably the best deal going out there right now.

Pacific also recently unveiled a dirt cheap line of all birch shelled drums. Could be something to check out if money is really an issue.

Some other entry level drums that don't seem to get much attention but have received raving reviews are the Sonor 2001 and 3001 lines. They have come down in price exponetially.

Yup! What theletterq said. They are a bit "thuddy" but real well made. The thuddiness is due to the fact that the shells are out of softwoods. The hardware is all good (Pearl quality) and the shells are real well made and they can be tuned to sound real good. They are slightly better than other "budget" brands.
If you are looking for a small gig set, here's the best deal I have found: In Sam Ash, their favorite brand, Groove Percussion (now don't roll your eyes, let me finish) they have a four piece gig set, 18" kick, 14" snare 12" rack tom, 14" floor tom and the shells are all MAPLE. The hardware is real good and the snare stand is included and it sell for $379. It has a more powerful sound than the Yamaha hipgig set. (And I am a big fan of Yamaha drums). There is much more bottom to the kick. If there is a Sam Ash nearby to you, just go in and check out this set. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. The cymbals that come with it are junk and can be used for masochistic frisbie games, but you'd never want to play them.

I personally own the Mapex Pro M kit 6 piece, it is a great set, they sound really good recorded, when tuned right. I got the kit for around $700.00 US, and have been well pleased with it so far. The hardware is great, like suspended tom mounts, unheard of on a beginner- intermediate kit.

guess it depends on what sounds you're looking for

i've got an Export set from like 89 or 90 (wine red), and it sounds great for low/mid-priced drums. just gotta find the right head combos and tune them properly and make sure you've got your mics setup in the right spots. big and open with plenty of attack and a really tight kick, as is the case with drums from that era with "power toms"--think "80s metal" in terms of kick and toms for this particular set. excellent for the rock we play.

haven't had a chance to play on the yams, mapex and pacific sets that others have mentioned, but for me with my style of music, these exports do just fine.

i've also got a ludwig set from the mid-60s (green/red/blue "oyster" coverings) and they're quite a bit different. much more of the Bonzo sound than the "big 80's hairband sound". If i'm gonna be doing something that requires more "open" sounding drums, be it zep, or gov't mule, or even something jazzy, i reach for the ludwigs. if i want to rock, it's the pearls.

wade

I have had several Export kits over the years. 5 to be exact. All have served me well . I also played on several other kits so I have played the best and worst of many brands.

Head choice is a big deal on the Export kit or really any kit for that matter. I remember going from remo black dots to pin strips and now that I'm recording I use coated ambassadors.

Head choice can makes all the difference. It is very possible to get great sound out of the export kit, probrably not with the heads that come on them but with better heads definitly.

The export kit has held up remarkably well for me and has never let me down. They hold up very well for gigs.

Rustang said:

Head choice is a big deal on the Export kit or really any kit for that matter. I remember going from remo black dots to pin strips and now that I'm recording I use coated ambassadors.

Head choice can makes all the difference. It is very possible to get great sound out of the export kit, probrably not with the heads that come on them but with better heads definitly.

well put...any way you look at it, all of the kits named will sound great with the right heads and a tuning dial. i own an export myself and it sounded like crap till i really learned how to prepare drums before you play them.

ive got a Mapex M-Series kit and its probably the best kit you can buy for the money (in my opinion), the factory heads arent that good, but once you change them you cant beat this kit. its really good!

i still have my export set from about 88 or so..it still holds up great for me.

i have not had the chance to play anything else...because i am poor

Re: guess it depends on what sounds you're looking for

mrface2112 said:
i've got an Export set from like 89 or 90 (wine red), and it sounds great for low/mid-priced drums. just gotta find the right head combos and tune them properly and make sure you've got your mics setup in the right spots. big and open with plenty of attack and a really tight kick, as is the case with drums from that era with "power toms"--think "80s metal" in terms of kick and toms for this particular set. excellent for the rock we play.
<snip>

wade

I have been looking at a lot of exports lately. The new exports and export ex's all seem to have the isolated tom mounts. The forums of today appear to be the exports of yesterday from the looks of the hardware. I like the sound of both of them.

phil

Back