These are my songs and this is me! PLEASE COMMENT.

Mr Funk

Hi folks

I have also posted this on Gearslutz.

I'd love some feedback on my demo's. www.myspace.com/kanewilliamsmusic

Any sort of feedback welcome, musicality, lyrics, recording, mixing etc etc.

I know that they are not perfect by any means. I know I can sing them better and in places the vocals and guitars are a little off key etc, but they are demo's.

I don't get a lot of time to produce and less time to record. I always put down what I consider scratch vocals to be replaced later, but then I don't get the time so think "I'll just try to clean those up a bit" and move on to the next song. I will redo It Ain't Me, as I had a cold when recoding that. Well, I will if I can salvage the files from my broken PC!

I have not done any Autotune or Melodyne (I probably should), but as a singer, I don't want to "cheat".

I am a singer/songwriter first, producer and engineer is something I do as a means of getting my stuff down. I'd love to collaborate with others on an album project, so if anyone is interested let me know. I have lots of other stuff written. I need a producer who can make my sound more soulful I think.

I can't read or write music and I can't really play an instrument. My friend Eddy played guitar on the first two tracks. The rest is all me and my DAW!

It will be nice to see what you 'experts' and fellow enthusiasts think.

Thanks

Kane

"Draw a line through the stars" is a great line.

I listened to "Didn't say no".

You have a cool, smooth voice, and with this track you have tapped into my fondness for relaxed, laid-back music.

I like the sparseness and clarity of the instrumentation. You say you don't play, but you have a good ear for arrangements, and you've worked your midi stuff pretty well.

It would help if you posted lyrics here . . . that gives us an easier way of digesting the lyrics . . . rather than having to focus attention on a number of different directions within a recording.

I just have a few minutes before leaving for work, so will listen to more later.

I listened to "Didn't Say No" and really liked it...smooth guitar driven soul ballad, along the lines of Mazzy Star or Corinne Bailey Rae. Great line "I didn't say no to you, I said no for you".

Your voice is very good. Northeast UK? Where'd you hide your accent? ;-)

-Mike

Hey guys, thanks for the comments. It's great when you get feedback from other musicians and you know they are not just being kind! haha.

I've not actually heard of Mazzy Star, but I do like Corinne Bailey Rae. As for the accent, well, I have a watered down Grimsby accent and I think it still sounds like me. haha

Here are the lyrics to Didn't Say no. I will add all the lyrics to my myspace page soon.

V1

You and I, are meant to be together
It's written in the sky, if you draw a line through the stars.
It says our names with a heart around it
an arrow going through but it doesn't harm it
no, no. You don't even know...

V2

You've got a smile, even when your not smiling
I can see it in your eyes, that you're heading for the stars.
When you reach the moon throw your arms around him
give him my regards and be glad that you found him
Oh, oh. he won't ever know...

CHORUS

I didn't say no to you, I said no for you
You were inside me had to be inside you
but I knew
It would be good but not good for you.
I didn't say know to you, i said no for you
You got inside me had to get inside you
But I knew
I would be hooked on you.

V3

You got a heart that makes makes beat harder
I can feel it in my sigh and it burns just like the stars.
You may forget what we had on that day
I may be regret what we didn't share that way
But oh, oh. We will always know...

CHORUS (as above)

BRIDGE
Now we talk about us, every single day
So I guess our plans backfired, what can I say
It seems that abstinence makes the heart grow fonder
But if we had spent the night, I can't help but wonder.

OUTRO CHORUS

I didn't say no to you, I said no for you
If I had my time again, i know what I would do.
I didn't say no to you, I said no for you.
But it didn't make a difference, I'm still hooked on you.
No it didn't make a difference, I'm still hooked on you.

Didn't Say No...

The recording quality is great. The song has a nice vibe and the vocals are pretty nice. But in my opinion (and that isn't worth much) the lyrics are a bit cryptic. I'm not exactly sure what the song is about? But I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer either. :)

Over all I say its a great job. If it was on the radio I wouldn't have changed the channel (and with my lack of an attention span thats saying alot!):)

Hey ccarnucci

Thanks for the comments.

I guess so of the lyrics I write are a little cryptic sometimes, as they are personal and often the person who was the inspiration for the song may only be the one who really gets it, but I'm kind of a fan of slightly cryptic lyrics, although I also like them to at least make some sense and give people an idea and vibe of what it all means.

To try and clarify the 'story' of Didn't Say No.

I really like a girl who was a lot younger than me and she really liked me too. At the time we met, she already had a boyfriend and felt bad about cheating on him. So, at the "crucial moment", I decided to be the adult and step back and not allow her to break her morals (or mine).

I was not sure if I'd ever see her again (it was in a foreign country) and although it was a VERY hard thing to do, I knew it was the right thing to do. I respected her and wanted her to respect me.

The song was written in the few day a after that day.

She actually ended the relationship with the guy as soon as she got back to her home town and a few weeks later, I flew back to see her and we got together. For a while it looked like it was going to be the relationship I hoped it would be, but sadly that did not come to fruition.

I hope the song is a little clearer now???? haha

I guess so of the lyrics I write are a little cryptic sometimes, as they are personal and often the person who was the inspiration for the song may only be the one who really gets it, but I'm kind of a fan of slightly cryptic lyrics, although I also like them to at least make some sense and give people an idea and vibe of what it all means.

Cryptic is good.

There is nothing intrinsically bad about being clear and direct with the meaning of your lyrics. However, if the emotion, incident or experience you are depicting is to specific, you run a risk of the song not having as much appeal or significance to those who haven't experienced that exact emotion, incident, or experience. For example, you might want to write about the loss of a daughter because of a drunk driver. This tragic event will have been experienced by a few people, but not by the population at large. Those who haven't experienced this may not connect to the lyrics as immediately as you would like. However, by describing the incident less overtly, you may tap into the similar experiences of others. So you can avoid referring specifically to a daughter, but couch it in terms of losing a special loved on, and so on.

One of the masters of cryptic lyrics is Bob Dylan. His lines are often so cryptic as to be indecipherable, but by and large he is brilliant and writing lines that are original, and rich in potential meaning. Think about, for example, two really great political statements; "Blowin' in the wind" and "Times, they are a changin'".

I read the background to your lyrics. The incident you describe is very specific. Your lyrics allude to that incident in an indirect way, but very clearly once you know the story. But the lyrics can be interpreted by others in a way that has meaning for them. I think they are great lyrics.

Hi gecko, "Great lyrics" - you just made a friend for life! lol.

Seriously, thanks for your comments, that's really nice to hear.

I agree that it's not good to have lyrics that are so specific as to seclude others. I often write stuff that has a double meaning. Some people get both, some just one, but either way, it works. I also like to play little word games. In one song I wrote "Standing at the window trying to see through the pain". But that could also read "through the pane".

I do know that friends have often interpreted my lyrics in a slightly different way to what they meant to me when writing them, but that is fine. I like that. At the same time, I do quite enjoy letting people in on the truth behind the words sometimes.

The song called "Sorry" was written with someone in mind, but another person actually heard it and I believed it was for her and she loves it! I urge anyone to write an apology song, and let everyone think it's aimed at them! haha

I do try to let a situation inspire a song idea, rather than it have to be pin point accurate to that event.

What do you guys think to the lyrics etc of the other songs on my myspace page? Does anyone know how to add the lyrics without having to upload the song again, as this will lose the statistics of how many times the songs have been played? Thanks

Back