There's a radio inside my NTK!!

Cuzme

How can I get it out? Can I at least change the channel?

My NTK sounds great on what it's recording but picks up a strong radio signal at my new abode. Can I fix this somehow or does it mean that I just can't use the NTK at my new crib? I won't be able to check it again until Wednesday but I'd appreciate any advice that is out there. Thanks,
Chris

:confused: :(

1. Is this a commercial station. They may be exceeding their licensed signal strength.

2. Are you sure it is the microphone? It might be just as likely, if not more so, that the signal is being picked up by, for example, your cables. Run some tests.

I've tried different mics with the same cables and did not have the same problems...

My suspicion is that it is in the power supply or the loong 7pin cable that connects the mic to the power supply. I don't need one that long and a shorter cable would probably do the trick? But are those 7 pin cables readily available? I may have to order a new one from NTK.

I realize there's not really a radio in the mic, it sure sounds like there might as well be though.

Do different cables pick up different signals? I have also moved the mic and the cables all around my apt attempting to ditch the radio sig. Very frustrating,
Cuzme

Thanks Innovations, much love.

Cuzme said:
How can I get it out? Can I at least change the channel?

My NTK sounds great on what it's recording but picks up a strong radio signal at my new abode. Can I fix this somehow or does it mean that I just can't use the NTK at my new crib? I won't be able to check it again until Wednesday but I'd appreciate any advice that is out there. Thanks,
Chris

:confused: :(

Try solder a couple of capacitors 100pf-1nF between pins 2 and 3 and ground. You can do this in the mic for a permanent fix or in the cable at the mic end. Ideally add a ferrite bead on the wires to pin 2 and 3 also.

DOH! sorry just realised it was an ntk :o - try the capacitors in the xlr at the power supply end.

You could cut down the cable but it might not eliminate the problem completely.

Last edited:
I was having this same problem with my M9. I live near a commercial radio tower and sometimes the powerful signal can get into my mic. In my case, I found the connector shell that mates to the M9 had paint on the inside. This caused the mic body not to make solid contact with the cable shield. Using a dremel tool I removed the paint to expose the metal. Once the mic body made solid contact with the cable, the problem went away.

If you live near a radio tower, you find this problem in other gear you own. I've had to fix this problem on a case by case basis. Sometimes it's trial and error.

Bob

Back