The Winds of Change - new guitar-rock song

mjbphotos

The Winds of Change - new guitar-rock song New mix 1-31

Retracked vocals yesterday, with a few minor lyrical changes. Futzed around with a bunch of other things, and reduced the limiting/compression on the master track.
New mix 1-31-16

New mix 1-25-16:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, this one is a little long. Originally I was thinking of a Trower type of sound, but it ended up more like Pink Floyd, might be due to the organ and vocal effects.
Do I need to scoop the rhythm guitar more?

Last edited:
I like the song. Sounds like a different direction you're moving in. The mix is muddy to me, especially in the parts where you've got the synth and the full band playing, and really noticeable in the intro. Maybe do some hi-passing...just kidding. ;) Vocals level is too low for me, and needs more clarity. Guitars all sound very good, and good playing too. Bass is doing its job; my preference would be for a little more clarity on the bass but that's a quibble. Kick might come up a tiny bit. Snare could come up more. I'm liking the cymbals, both level and quality of the sound. Good job!

Cool song, I like the arrangement and the playing is great. The lead guitar parts pop out a bit. I don't think by much, but it might be making the rest of the mix sound lower than it really is. (per the Robus comment). I could use more vocals, but maybe lowering the lead will bring them out a bit.

I like it. When it first kicks in, the impact is diminished by the wind n bells sounds. I'd bring them down, or maybe everything else up. Drums are pretty low too, especially the snare. That outright gets lost in places. All the other drum elements seem good. I'd shelf low end on the rhythm guitars a little more too. Vocals and lead guitar sound great. Nice harmonies.

I thought the wind noise was a tad bit too loud. When the synth comes in, it darkens the tone a bit, but I wouldn't say muddy. You could try to reduce on the synth to pull it out, but I thought it fit the song.

Nice tune and mix.

I love the wind sound but like fat fleet said the level is a little too high. I see what you're going for on the vocal but IMO it's a little too distant sounding and needs a little more presence.
Overall great job and very creative

Thanks for all the listens and comments.

'Different direction' - naw, it's all rock and roll, just a lot is more acoustic than anything else.

When you guys mention 'synths' I assume you mean the wind which is made using a wind generator web site - pretty neat site. I'll definitely reduce its volume a little more - hard to tell when you've got tinnitus. The gongs (not bells!) are an actual Chinese gong my wife got me, but its small, so I used ReaPitch and some EQ to knock the pitch down an octave.
I wonder if taking a little of the delay off the vocal would bring it through better. The compressor I threw on it helped, I think.
After 3 hours mixing yesterday, I had to stop where it was, was losing perspective.

Using my headphones, I had to turn the song down in the intro because the sound effects were much louder than the music. Vocals sound really nice and smooth, I think they could come up quite a bit. They seem a little buried as is. The verse is really catchy, I like that melody. Real nice guitar solo round the 3 minute mark.

Cool intro, but I think it is extremely loud compared to the music. It makes the music seem very small in comparison, which I am guessing is not your intention.

I like the vibe to this song a lot. Mike, this style of song is probably the most suited to your voice that I have ever heard you do. Personally, I think you have hit on something for yourself here and you would do well to keep going in this exact direction. In particular, the laid back, almost droney and melodic beds work really well for allowing you to deliver your vocals in a very natural, effortless sounding and flattering way.

The mix is translating nicely to me here. Other than the wind effect, nothing is standing out to me in a way that hinders my enjoyment of the song. I'm just listening and liking.

For me, this is easily on it's way to being your best work. Definitely, for me, your best vocal delivery thus far and everything is coming together better than anything else has from this listener's perspective.

Using my headphones, I had to turn the song down in the intro because the sound effects were much louder than the music. Vocals sound really nice and smooth, I think they could come up quite a bit. They seem a little buried as is. The verse is really catchy, I like that melody. Real nice guitar solo round the 3 minute mark.

Yeah, I will definitely be taking care of the wind volume - probably a combination of being too loud + the master limiter which I had pretty well cranked up.

Cool intro, but I think it is extremely loud compared to the music. It makes the music seem very small in comparison, which I am guessing is not your intention.

I like the vibe to this song a lot. Mike, this style of song is probably the most suited to your voice that I have ever heard you do. Personally, I think you have hit on something for yourself here and you would do well to keep going in this exact direction. In particular, the laid back, almost droney and melodic beds work really well for allowing you to deliver your vocals in a very natural, effortless sounding and flattering way.

The mix is translating nicely to me here. Other than the wind effect, nothing is standing out to me in a way that hinders my enjoyment of the song. I'm just listening and liking.

For me, this is easily on it's way to being your best work. Definitely, for me, your best vocal delivery thus far and everything is coming together better than anything else has from this listener's perspective.

Thanks - funny as in another place I had comments that the vocals was to blasé! No way to do this song solo acoustic, either, which is my main music outlet these days.
Usually my lead vocals get minimum processing - EQ, delay and/or reverb, maybe some mild compression. Now I know what to do with ALL my vocals :eek: , plug-in chain: Boot EQII tube preamp, Line 6 PodFarm American preamp + chorus + delay, ReaEQ, ReaComp, reverb!

Last edited:
The sound effects at the beginning were cool enough. But at that level, they overpower the rest of the songs. There was also a couple of jarring sounds in the middle of the wind sounds.

I like the vocal sound - even with all that delay/verb. I also like that lead guitar tone.

The verses are lacking a pad instrument. There is a rhythm guitar in there. But it's narrow and way back in the mix. The verses are dominated by the vocal and bass.

I like the bass sound however. Cool part too.

Much much much better - all my concerns have been addressed. Would dearly love to hear this in 320MP3 or even wav - I do wish there was a wav hosting site.

new mix....

the mix is a bit odd...
it sound like the entire thing was put thru a compressor, and it stole all of the attack.

the drums sound flat, but they are mixed volume wise, where they ought to be...
the snare is totally flat sounding...
like a wet box being hit by a drum stick.
it needs a lot of work.

vocals are completely washed out.
maybe it's the effects, i'd run them completely dry, with just a touch of verb.

i dig the vocal harmonies, and other than the wonky effects, i like the lead vox performance.
nice solo guitar section...

but honestly, it gets boring by the time you get to the solo...
you should modulate to a different key for that solo,
it really needs something to pick it up right there.

new mix....

the mix is a bit odd...
it sound like the entire thing was put thru a compressor, and it stole all of the attack.

the drums sound flat, but they are mixed volume wise, where they ought to be...
the snare is totally flat sounding...
like a wet box being hit by a drum stick.
it needs a lot of work.

vocals are completely washed out.
maybe it's the effects, i'd run them completely dry, with just a touch of verb.

i dig the vocal harmonies, and other than the wonky effects, i like the lead vox performance.
nice solo guitar section...

but honestly, it gets boring by the time you get to the solo...
you should modulate to a different key for that solo,
it really needs something to pick it up right there.

Are you saying the new mix vs the old mix sounds 'thru a compressor'? Because its got exactly the same Limiter on the master track.

Looking at your other comments today, you're not liking much of anything you hear! What 'work' do you suggest on the snare? AS to production/writing suggestions, that's not what the MP3 Clinic is really for, but I appreciate the listen. Everyone likes different things.

Second mix.

The drums seem out in front of the guitars. Guitars have a lot of high end rolled off, which gives them a little distant tone.

Trippy vocal sound is cool.

Are you saying the new mix vs the old mix sounds 'thru a compressor'? Because its got exactly the same Limiter on the master track.

Looking at your other comments today, you're not liking much of anything you hear! What 'work' do you suggest on the snare? AS to production/writing suggestions, that's not what the MP3 Clinic is really for, but I appreciate the listen. Everyone likes different things.

hey mike,
i listened to the 'new' mix. did not listen to the old mix, didn't see a reason to compare,
if you are improving your mixes, i only want to hear the latest one.....

so, the comment about the mix sounding flat, means what i'm hearing is too much compression...
either at mixing, or at 'mastering' with a brickwall limiter on your master track.

the level, or way you are using, the compression or limiting is killing your dynamics....
makes them sound flat.

having a loud mix is one thing..
but having a snare crack ring thru a din of distorted guitars,
means you have left headroom in your mix to allow the snare to pop thru,
and i'm not hearing that on your latest.....

the 'work' on the snare, i would suggest a completely different snare!
at least choice of voicing,
i don't know what you are using for drums, they don't sound real, i'm assuming it's a plug?
anyway,
the snare is very dull sounding.....
hold on, i'm going to stream it again:
ok, in the cans....
the snare's got a nice thud on it, but no real snap, that's what's missing.
the snap (whether it's more snare, more bottom mic, different snare, or just high end adjustment) will give that snare a lot more character....

now, the idea that the mp3 clinic isn't the right place for 'production' values,
i think is incorrect.
if not there, then where?

the productions values is what leads to the final mix, eh?

as far as "not liking much of anything you hear"...
heheh, what can i say?

i simply took the first 8 or so songs at the top of the page, and randomly played them...
i actually had some time to do some serious listening, so that's what i did.

do you want me to candy coat my opinion?
remember, it's only an opinion.
you can listen, or not, either way, i'm trying to help.

Not trying to derail your thread mjb, but the Clinic is the only place on the forum for criticism of songs, so it's all fair game--songwriting, performance, recording, mixing, production. If you don't want to hear comments on certain aspects, you can specify that in your OP. But people might give it anyway.

hey mike,
i listened to the 'new' mix. did not listen to the old mix, didn't see a reason to compare,
if you are improving your mixes, i only want to hear the latest one.....

so, the comment about the mix sounding flat, means what i'm hearing is too much compression...
either at mixing, or at 'mastering' with a brickwall limiter on your master track.

the level, or way you are using, the compression or limiting is killing your dynamics....
makes them sound flat.

having a loud mix is one thing..
but having a snare crack ring thru a din of distorted guitars,
means you have left headroom in your mix to allow the snare to pop thru,
and i'm not hearing that on your latest.....

the 'work' on the snare, i would suggest a completely different snare!
at least choice of voicing,
i don't know what you are using for drums, they don't sound real, i'm assuming it's a plug?
anyway,
the snare is very dull sounding.....
hold on, i'm going to stream it again:
ok, in the cans....
the snare's got a nice thud on it, but no real snap, that's what's missing.
the snap (whether it's more snare, more bottom mic, different snare, or just high end adjustment) will give that snare a lot more character....

now, the idea that the mp3 clinic isn't the right place for 'production' values,
i think is incorrect.
if not there, then where?

the productions values is what leads to the final mix, eh?

as far as "not liking much of anything you hear"...
heheh, what can i say?

i simply took the first 8 or so songs at the top of the page, and randomly played them...
i actually had some time to do some serious listening, so that's what i did.

do you want me to candy coat my opinion?
remember, it's only an opinion.
you can listen, or not, either way, i'm trying to help.

Much more helpful! yeah, I no doubt had the master limiter too cranked on this one, and will dial it back a bit - I know when I see most of the file looking like a 'sausage' it's been too compressed. ;) I use EZD2 for drums, and listening to your latest track, we like different snare styles (nothing wrong with that), but I will try more bottom mic to see what it sounds like.

Not trying to derail your thread mjb, but the Clinic is the only place on the forum for criticism of songs, so it's all fair game--songwriting, performance, recording, mixing, production. If you don't want to hear comments on certain aspects, you can specify that in your OP. But people might give it anyway.

Yeah, I hear ya, but I was given sh!t for offering production/writing opinions here, so seldom do it now. As has been discussed here ad nauseum people have different song creation philosophies, and who is to say one person's ideas are "better" than the person who created the music?

Back