the way it is

Idea.........let's stop criticizing musicians who have not learned as much about studio equipment as we have.Just because they have'nt spent every waking hour researching pre-amps,compressors and microphones that does'nt make them "stupid" or make them "idiots".Granted, a band should do a little research before they pay someone $200 to record on a beringer mixer.Let's end the snobbery fellow gear heads!

P.S. I think nubs is running scared.

LET'S HEAR IT NUBS......or, do you not know how to post an MP3?

Better yet...

ow about a list of your credits and the name and address of the stu dio this numbs guy works in. I don't see that anywhere. Seems to me this guy just wanted to be contentious to get a rise. It worked he got it. Now what.

I couldn't even read all this shit. Who gives a fuck anyway. Make your music in your home free of charge and have fun. When others hear it and say good job, sounds great, then all is well.

I wasted half an hour of my life reading cheese-nuts' worthless diatribes. Littledog made some good points early on... and even pipelineaudio seems to grasp them: the world is changing, technology is becoming more widespread, available to the masses, at affordable rates. Industries of all sorts are changing because of this, and it's simply something we will have to adapt to - it affects my profession, engineering (mechanical, structural, systems, design, whatever you want to call it... what I consider real engineering :) ), and there are already governing bodies and liscensing processes in place. The bottom line is that everyone is having to figure out how to adapt to these changes, and if you can't, you'll continue to be broke and bitter.

Well... there's my commentary on this thread. Now, for my suggestion. I server as a moderator on a discussion forum, and from time to time we get trolls just like this that come in with the sole purpose of stirring up trouble. Any useful or intelligent comments are lost in the pile of shit they post.

What do we do about it? Ban them and continue on with life as usual. ;)

Well, it would probably take a dozen littledogs just to carry pipeline's jockstrap, but that's not why I'm posting...

It's interesting that we're getting calls for moderator censorship lately, for example, here and on Harvey's "vote early and often for my son" thread.

As I've said before, the lack of active moderators is what gives this board it's unique character. We essentially are an anarchic community with no one having any more power than any other. As such, it is an interesting sociological experiment.

Now, there are plenty of forums that are moderator dominated like ProSoundWeb, for instance. And others like homerec.com that are routinely censored, with whole threads suddenly disappearing from sight. Seems like there are enough of those places already that it is worth keeping this one unique.

After all, as annoying as Sweetnubs and his ilk are, who do they really hurt? I think this falls in the category of: "Be careful what you wish for..."

pipelineaudio said:
"Littledog made some good points early on... and even pipelineaudio seems to grasp them"

egads WTF is that ?
Well, I certainly didn't mean that in the insulting manner in which it came out.

What I meant is that even though you are in much the same position as beefnuts, suffering the same loss of business, and having much the same gripes about ametuer studios being the cause, you have at least recognized that its a complex issue with a solution far from what spaceballs would suggest. You seem to recognize that audio engineers aren't the only ones facing this problem in our changing society, and that an ultimate solution will likely be a compromise accompanied by a restructuring of business models.

I was attempting to give you credit and recognition for remaining level headed, since you probably have just as much reason to be bitter as sourgrapes, yet you don't come off as the asshole that he does. That says a lot.

Oh... and littledog, I wasn't really "calling" for censorship, just merely stating a fact - how we handle things elsewhere. I haven't been here that long, and if homerec has a reputation of being essentially self-moderated, then that sounds pretty cool, and he will continue to be a source of entertainment. He doesn't personally offend me, and I doubt he will detract from the amount of knowledge this place has to offer me.

ahh, no prob cool :)

yeah its a lot more complicated then blaming amatuer engineers, its more complicated than blaming just fraud engineers, and its a HELL of a lot more complicated than " adapt or die " would suggest, FAR FAR FAR more than that...

"i do blame aleisis and especially indie rock. "

What the hell is wrong with indie rock? It's just music. You don't have to listen to it if you don't like it. Personaly I'm glad you don't, it would really bring the rest of us down. True Indie rock wouldn't have an affect on the recording industry or you anyway. So sit back down and take a breath. Your sweet money isn't being lost to people that have more heart and soul for what they are doing than you shall ever be able to begin to comprehend.

"the good old US of A trained the taliban and supplied arms to the general afganhistan populace to overthrow the russians. many people did not want to do this (in afganhistan) and we promised them that we would help them recoup their losses, i.e. funding for rebuilding the country, new schools, etc. but instead, after they were succesful, we immediately pulled out. go figure people are pissed."

Your forgeting one thing. We didn't have to help them at all, but we did! Just because we did go the whole nine yards doesn't give them the right to attack us!

"i for one am currently considering moving to europe. christ in germany if a 3rd party receives 10 percent of the vote, they get 10 percent of the representives. it's a true representative democracy unlike our two party bullshit aristocracy. and their gear is better. kids, it really is about oil and securing natural resources. america is full of ego and highly lacking in education and empathy outside of its tiny hollywood corporate borders. learn about who owns the media you read. yes boys and girls, mean spirited sweetnubs is a liberal. please don't confuse me with a democrat who i consider only moderate republicans. "

Good, what are you waiting for. Get the Fuck out! It's people like you who give America its bad rep for being jerks. So go ahead and leave, no one will miss you and who knows maybe over there they will have less tolerance and someone put you out of our misery. As for the ego, your the only one here that seems to have a ego, Mr. I'm a pro and you not so shut up because I get payed more than you do. Why the fuck are you here anyway?

Oh, BTW, like everyone else has said, if you are the pro you make yourself out to be, how the hell do you lose bizz(thats worth getting in the 1st place) to homerecording folk like us? You must really suck at your job. Maybe it is your people skills.

"Oh, BTW, like everyone else has said, if you are the pro you make yourself out to be, how the hell do you lose bizz(thats worth getting in the 1st place) to homerecording folk like us? You must really suck at your job. Maybe it is your people skills.
"

I aint defending sweetnubs, but what you say right there is TOTAL TOTAL complete 100 % bullshit. You obviously dont understand this situation at all

Well, I have a very small project studio with limited equipment, but you know what? I don't care. I've never considered my self a "audio engineer", and I never think I will...

BUT I do record local bands that pay me for it. Evil me, taking away Sweetnubs clients. My latest band said: "It's more fun here! We get to decide! Yeah, this is great. We tried two pro studios, but they were only interessted in how the mix sounds. You are interessted in how the music sounds. We like that!" And you know what? My clients are comming back! Sounds like yours doesen't...

They get what they want, a demo! And for the price I take, they get 3 songs recorded. For the price I take, they wouldn't have 5 hours in a "pro" studio... At my place, they get excactly what they want. A demo even if they're on a budget, so they can play gigs and then come back and record some more.

The thing is: They and I are having a great time!

"It's more fun here! We get to decide! Yeah, this is great. We tried two pro studios, but they were only interessted in how the mix sounds. "

this is such a cut and paste cliche that it needs to be added to " we'll fix it in the mix" and " the check is in the mail"

maybe in your case its true, and in many cases it is. But even earlier in this very thread this issue was discussed.

See what happens when you raise your rates as hi as the "pro studios" they went to before. Or see what happens when the pro studio has a rate special. People say funny things when they think they are getting a deal, they even say funny things to themselves.

You recording demos the way you do, at prices a working band can afford is a GOOD thing, and it can be a symbiotic relationship with the big studios and yours. Dont kid yourself and dont fool yourself by buying into the same ol same ol "pro studio" bashing bullshit...its right on par with mac vs pc bashing

pipelineaudio said:
...its a HELL of a lot more complicated than " adapt or die " would suggest, FAR FAR FAR more than that...

Damn, Pipeline! You mean manipulating a deep and complex issue by reductio ad absurdum (or whatever it's called, my latin sucks) to a three word catch phrase/cliché isn't intellectually valid? Oh, crap! There goes my modus operandi. It was so much easier when nobody called me out on my vague half-witted platitudes :(

this is such a cut and paste cliche that it needs to be added to " we'll fix it in the mix" and " the check is in the mail"
Okay then, if you say so... No-no. I even can prove they said it, but it's in Norwegian and you wouldn't be able to tell what from where... And if you think it's a cliche and there is a great possibility that it's try for all I know, but I don't care. It made me happy :). They decided them selves, and recorded their demo at my place...

Dont kid yourself and dont fool yourself by buying into the same ol same ol "pro studio" bashing bullshit...its right on par with mac vs pc bashing
When did I do that? If I did it wasn't intentionally...

"Okay then, if you say so... No-no. I even can prove they said it, but it's in Norwegian and you wouldn't be able to tell what from where... And if you think it's a cliche and there is a great possibility that it's try for all I know, but I don't care. It made me happy . They decided them selves, and recorded their demo at my place...
"

oh I do beleive they said it, Ive heard it many times myself...it IS a cliche, and even said many times on this thread and thruout this BBS, sometimes its true, most times its basic sediment

"When did I do that? If I did it wasn't intentionally..."

you didnt, but seemed to be teetering close to it :)

I get real defensive on this issue, and its a tough one

Yeah, of course. Understood. No hard feelings. :)

Well, anyway. I have a day-job in acoustics (room-acoustics, noise, and the like). Recording is just a hobby (as for most people around here).

I'll get out of the debate before I hurt myself...;)

sweetnubs come clean: are you or are you NOT Jackortman ?

HAHAHAHAHAH! Thats too good pipeline!:D hey, wait, I thought he died.....oh, no wonder he's here:p GEEEEEEEEEEZUS we have a genius amongst us...OH MY GOD!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...MR. ORTMAN, would you be so kind as to accept my apology and bless this bbs with some of your brilliant lessons in AE. I would feel priviledged to sit at the masters feet and lap up any tasty scraps of your vast experience that you care to share with us mortals. After a few hundred years, maybe, just maybe, I can also say....
"my dear student, please withhold your insolent inquiries into the workings of my audio alchemy lab , as I am busy preparing the universe for stupid mortals such as your self to reside, and bow to your holy messiah of audio engineering".
fitz:rolleyes:

Back