THE VERY BASICS OF Home RECORDING

Hi,I have a band and we are in the process of getting recording equipment. We only need the very basics...nothing like mic effects or anything like that. We already have monitors, Yamaha Speakers, Behringer MX2004A Eurorack, and mics. We are going to record straight to CD's, not tapes, or on the computer, but straight to CD's. What else do we absolutely need? Can we just output from the mixer straight to a CD-R? And what are good CD-R's under $800?

IF YOU HAVE THE ANSWER, PLEASE JUST EMAIL IT TO ME BECAUSE I MAY NOT CHECK IT ON HERE AGAIN
Thanks and God Bless all

geesh, if he's not going to check here again then i guess we can say anything we want in here.
la....la...la.la.la.......la.....la.......la..la.la.la.la.......la.......la....la.la.la.la.la.......la....la......la.....la.la......la....la.la..........la........la.......la.la.......la.al.la..la.......la

note: Hard2Hear's FIRST completely useless post.......

anyways, how do they expest to record without anything but a CD player?...dang, it's almost contributing now. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

<cough, cough>ahem.....
I'm ok now.

heh heh heh, i had to check though, you know?

ok...first off, are you using a DRW in a PC to make your CD's or are you using one of those stand alone CD burners?

Need that info first, then we'll continue.

:)H2H

oops, I just saw the second part of your post asking about CD Burners. There are a wide array of these things and I personally use a CDRW in a PC.
One thing to think of...In any way, if you put something straight to CD you will be missing out on alot. The mix will have to be perfect the first take and you will lose out on ANY corrrections or additions you might want to make. I hope you are looking for a really LIVE sound, cause that's what you'll get. It will also take alot of practice in making coasters before you get one right.
*Do a search on CD Burners using the link in the upper right corner of the page.
For any burner you get: (first make sure it will show input levels, this will save you alot) you should have a tape out or something like that on your Eurorack. You can just plug this into the burner and have at it. Like I said, it will take some tooling with levels, but you might get it to work.
H2H

It's quite possible to record directly to a CD-Burner. I would recommend getting a good multi-tracker, though, at least if the CD-R's you are thinking of are $800...

You'll also need compressors, and a reverb, and a delay, I would say. Except if you get a digital multi-tracker, which usually has this built-in.

The CDRW-5000 from TASCAM was $1000 when it first came out but I've seen it for $500 since they came out with the 2000 and the 700. It's still a kick-ass 2-track 2U rackmounted standalone. It's too old to recognize 700MB CDRs.
Yes it has inputs. AND HOW! It has your run of the mill consumer line level RCA jack analog inputs. It also has balanced +4 level inputs on XLR jacks. The analog ins have a cut/boost control on each channel. It also has two flavors of digital inputs: S/PDIF and AES/EBU. These inputs come in handy for tracking a digital source. The digital outs come in handy for flying tracks into a PC for editing/ mastering capability. As to outputs, it mirrors all of the above using the same connectors. Plus one headphone out with volume control. The CDR transport/ read/write mechanism itself is very solid. It has sync for controlling multiple CDRW-5000's simultaneously and a wired remote control. One more plus is that it uses pro protocols which can override copy protection burned into your CDR or allow it if you want.

But I think you could also get a big bang for your buck by getting a much nicer preamp. The Art Tube MP gets a lot of good press around here for $100/ channel.

Also don't underestimate the value of a really nice mic as opposed to just any old mic you have laying around.
They do make a difference.

Back